Choosing Alternative Therapies/Hormones

Can you think of foods or suppliments that resensitize men to testosterone? I am worried I am not getting the effect of testosterone that I used to and my body is producing too much DHT as a result.

Hello, James,

Partly your question depends on why you think you aren't sensitive enough to testosterone. Is it an age-related question, or are you a bodybuilder?

You should get your hormones tested by a doctor. Don't assume that they are out of whack without knowing exactly how. Admittedly, medical tests are often full of errors, but you have to start someplace. Also, you may have symptoms, such as softening muscles, belly fat, and the like. This can safely be said to infer you have a problem.

That said, I can give you a few pointers, but mostly you need to do research, and you can do this with a good search engine.

There are foods you can eat that will act against testosterone, partly by increasing the amount of estrogen in a man's body. The worst offender that I know of is soy. Soy is really bad news anyway. Most soy in the United States is genetically modified, and there are all kinds of dangers. Soy is hidden in a lot of prepared foods; read labels carefully. Since labels must warn you of soy content, pay attention. Stay away from soy. In addition, there are commonly used plastics that will increase estrogen. These are really hard to get away from; they are everywhere.

Here is a good page that explains this problem. It also offers a product. We have tried that product in our household, and are satisfied with it, although we haven't used it for very long.

This product DOES contain magnesium stearate (which makes me angry, and I have complained, but nothing has been done). Magnesium stearate inhibits absorption, and may cause the body to dry out. If you have trouble with dry eyes, this may be the reason (if you are taking anything that has it). If magnesium stearate doesn't bother you, that's great. But I am not aware of a comparable product without it.

The problem of the body not being sensitive enough to testosterone is a separate problem, but related. I have no information handy on this.

I hope this helps.

Choosing Alternative Therapies

I can answer questions about which modalities are effective, and which are less effective, or outright quackery. I can answer questions about which modalities have a spiritual component, and explain why they do. I can advise Christians on which modalities they can practice without violating their faith. I can locate resources, that will help a person find a practitioner. I can help a person figure out what questions to ask of a practitioner, and what kind of practitioner to seek. I can also recommend internet resources for various health problems. I can discuss various martial arts, explain the theories behind them, and explain which require a spiritual component, and which rely on physical forces for their effectiveness. I have studied various religions for a number of years, and can talk about meditation techniques from a Christian point of view.

I have experience as a patient with a number of alternative therapies. I have researched many of them, and know which ones are more effective than others. I particularly focus on which therapies would be compatible with the Christian faith. Some modalities have a spiritual component, which is not compatible. I have also practiced herbalism with my family and friends for a number of years. I have experienced various kinds of physical manipulation for dislocated joints and other similar problems, and I have trained in the martial arts, which is relevant to some therapies. Martial arts are also therapeutic. I have also been writing a book on the uses of Sonoran Desert herbs, which already has 900 pages. It is a review of information in the literature, coupled with some of my personal experience. I have done the research for this book in eight languages. I also have done strength training and weightlifting. I am familiar with some technique and nutrition.

I studied the use of Sonoran Desert herbs with Peter "Bigfoot" Busnack. I studied midwifery with Norman Casserley, aka Mister Midwife. Three of my children were born at home. I have a second degree black belt in taekwondo and have also played judo and studied Kem Scrima Do.