Choosing the Right College/M.Tech speciliazation

Question
QUESTION: sir
    i have completed B.Tech(EEE) and wrote GATE and got 4954 rank in it
and i want to know that which specialization is best.

on considering
1.future aspects
2.placements  etc.

mostly  
which one is best among POWER ELECTRONICS,HIGH VOLTAGE,POWER SYSTEMS

THANKING YOU SIR

ANSWER: Hi,

There are two parameters that one should consider:
1. Brand name/college name
2. Field of specialisation

Assuming that you get a choice between power systems and electronics respectively, both the terms are used interchangeably in India. Power systems deal with the transmission, assemblage and distribution whereas power electronics deal with the control and conversion using rectifiers/diodes etc...

If u wish to take up a job in India, i will certainly go for a power electronics course as it widens up my prospects in electrical as well as electronics area.
As far as placements is concerned, it depends more on the college name and ur marks/cgpa secured. But if you have enough confidence, then your hard work will def get you through placements.

QUESTION: and
   which one is better between power electronics and high voltage engineering

because  i am getting admission in both the courses in the same college

please help me sir

thanking you sir  for your information

ANSWER: Hi,

Power elec is an evergreen field whereas HVE is an upcoming field in India. The concept of HVE for its commercial use and application was started in Sweden in late 1970's when they first developed the technology of transmitting DC High voltage over the distribution lines whereas power elec is an already well matured subject. If planning to do Phd, then HVE will be a better option.

If i put myself in ur place, I will choose power elec for the following reasons:
1. Power elec is a more diversified subject and presently, more companies are working in this field. So i will have  a variety of companies to sit for during placements.
2. If safety is a concern, I have to take more precaution dealing with HVE.
3. It will be easier for me to shift my domain from Electricals to Electronics and vice versa...

U can feel free to call me at 9731733083 for a better elaboration.

Abhimanyu

P.S. Recommend you to provide a feedback.

QUESTION: i got admission for M.Tech in JNTU .and i got admission in ETO(electro technical officer)in merchant navy .i am totally confused which one to choose.
which career is best in all aspects
guide me sir

thanking you sir

Answer
Hello Sundar,

Please let me know your ambition? If your ambition is to live a well settled life then i prefer you should go for merchant navy. At the end of the day, if you are doing Mtech for a secure future then i say merchant navy job is more lucrative. The future is also bright in merchant navy.  

Choosing the Right College

Abhimanyu Garg