Choosing the Right College/College Appeal Please Help

Question
Hello I am currently a college student at the University of Central Florida. During the term of the spring 2012 term I experienced a loss of a family member in the beginning of the term and I started to suffer from symptoms of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Depression halfway through the term. It was a very hard time for me and these events immensely affected my academic work. After the term was over I went to seek professional help with taking care of my OCD and Depression. I decided to apply for a late drop so I could get a tuition refund and my grades removed from my record. I applied with a personal statement, a doctors letter, and a letter from the funeral home. Today I received a letter saying my request cannot be approved because it is not justified. I am really saddened by this outcome and I plan to appeal. I don't have a history or pattern of performing so poorly in school. I received my AA degree with a 3.3 GPA at a community college and never got below a B grade. The only reason I did so poorly was because of the loss of a family member and my depression and OCD. This was an anomaly when you take into account my entire academic history. I explaining this to them as well as doctor and funeral home proof. I'm going to file an appeal, but I'm not sure what to do, because their asking for more documentation, but I don't know what else they require or want. I hope you can give me some advice on the best way to approach this. I was going through a tough time in my life, I'm human thus I'm fallible. I would greatly appreciate your advice and help. Thank you for your time.

Answer
I think you should contact the school and find out who handles an appeal like the one you submitted.  Get a specific name if possible.  Then I would contact your doctor and see if he or she could have a conversation where the doctor can detail your difficulty and how that would have affected your academic record.  I would also talk with the person in charge of appeals at the University of Central Florida and ask what further documentation you can provide.

http://www.collegedirection.org

Choosing the Right College

Susie Watts