Choosing the Right College/Late Drop

Question
Hello, this is Randy again regarding my late drop petition. I'm going to hand in my appeal tomorrow and will hear a decision the following Tuesday. Here are the extra documents I had added to support my case. I have written another letter, and my mother has written a letter on my behalf explaining my plight at the time. I also have receipts of the doctors visits to show them I don't have health insurance and had to pay out of pocket and that is one of the reasons I couldn't go to the doctor right away as Its expensive. I also printed symptoms and affects of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, to hopefully illustrate to them what was going through my mind and why those symptoms prevented me from doing things in a orderly fashion. What do you thins about these additional documents for support? Do you think I should add something else to it? Also I have also will try for a late withdrawal if the late drop is not approved. Do you think a late withdrawal can be attained if late drop is not? Thanks any final advice to better my case before tomorrow would be appreciated. Thank you for your time as always.

Answer
Hi Randy,

Great to hear from you and by the look of things, you're well prepared.  I particularly think your receipts and info sheet on OCD to be quite compelling.  Those additional documents are precisely what is needed for review committees to take your case "seriously".  Remember, they must adhere to a higher threshold for approving such petitions, otherwise they compromise the integrity of your program/school.  Anyone who is experiencing difficulty, everyone experiences life's challenges, could use their typical adversities and exploit them.  The process is in place to maintain the integrity of the institution's reputation.  This is a good thing for EVERYONE.

I think it's possible to be denied late drop, but approved for withdrawal.  Those two are separate transactions with real differences, the main being the impact/notation on the transcript.  A late drop may or may not show any visible record of the drop, though by the very nature of a semester/quarter missing, readers will conclude the student did not attend the session or was dropped.  On the other hand, ALL withdrawal petitions are noted in transcript with "W" to note the withdrawal.  It is a more formal way to communicate the instance.  There isn't a clear better between the two, at least in my opinion.  The "real" important matter is how you will come out of this ordeal and how you will move forward.  I've worked with students that have wished they encountered such ordeals as you, just so they can include it in their application for graduate programs.  Instead, they've had a pretty uneventful undergraduate experience and life.

All the best to you and feel free to let me know how this turns out.

Choosing the Right College

Joon Kim