Choosing the Right College/Late Drop Appeal

QUESTION: Hello I'm not sure if you remember me, but I asked for advice regarding a late drop appeal. I just wanted to update you on what happened and ask for advice on how to move forward. I got the letter back from my school and they declined my request.

This is what they said, "Your uncle passed away on January 26, 2012.  You could have withdrawn from all your classes. You donít have documentation of your medical condition during Spring 2012  (Jan Ė May 2012).  The letter from Dr. Taitt indicated that you started seeing him on Aug 30, 2012, You also took all online quizzes and submitted both essays.

You can try to appeal this denied late drop petition if you wish.  Please review the requirements of an appeal in your notification letter dated January 2, 2013"

This is what I said in my reply to that

Regarding that I could have dropped all my classes since my Uncle passed away on January 26, 2012 and the withdrawal deadline was March 20. I did withdraw from a course or two, because I thought I would be able to catch up with the three remaining I had, but I had no idea I would start to feel ill during the term as well. I don't have documenation of my medical condition during the Jan-May 2012 because as I stated in my letter I wrote along with the pettion, I wasn't sure what was happening to me, or what was causing me to feel that way. I didn't tell anyone professors or parents until the term was over as I was confused as what to do. On top of that I don't have medical insurance and after the term was over I had to wait until me and my parents could afford to seek treatment. Regarding submitting the final and essays for Dr. Hohenleitner, that is true that I submitted them, but it's also true that I only attended her class once for the whole term because of my condition and the situation with the loss of my uncle. I took her midterm late and if I'm correct I had to ask her permission to grade my essay because it was late. I was also able to submit the essays even though they were late, and quizzes because they were online. I didn't need to drive or travel to the campus. I could do it from anywhere whether it was in New York attending my Uncle's funeral or if I was home but to sick to go to school. As long as I had a laptop I could still do something. I also missed a ton of classes and handed in late work for or missed handing in work because of this. Thank you for your time and I will file and appeal

Now I'm going to appeal the decision but they want additional documentation to support my case for a late drop. I don't know what else I can provide them with. I gave them a funeral service letter pertaining to my uncle passing away and gave them a doctors letter. I don't know what else I can give them to support my case. I hope you can help please, thank you for your time.

ANSWER: Hi Randy,

The only additional supplement I can think of would be letters written by people close to you who can verify your claim.  You state that you thought you were in the unknown, Jan-May of 2012.  This could be roommate, friends, advisors, mentors, employers, etc.  Some other people who could verify that you were struggling through the process and they can validate that you were "not all there, but tried to get through on your own".  The documents you are referring to addresses the hardship, but it doesn't fit the timeline that administration is interested in.  Therefore you'll need to gather documents to support the window of time that they would like to know what happened.

Hope that helps.

QUESTION: thank you for your reply, the only people I can get letters from is my parents, I commute to school from home but I don't know if that will do anything. They only give 4 days from the start of classes to drop a class so there was no way for me to for see my uncle's passing and me falling ill, so I couldn't have dropped no matter what.

ANSWER: At this point you have nothing to lose but everything to gain by submitting a detailed letter from your parents supporting your claim to why you didn't seek help between Jan-May 2012, this is the biggest factor for them.  The focal point for administration is that you had opportunity to withdraw, both without notation as well as with "W" notation after you found out about your uncle's passing, which was January 26, 2012.  Furthermore, you only began seeing Dr. Taitt in August.  Hence, they want to know why this large open window of time without any actions.  What were you doing?  Why didn't you seek help earlier?  Are you someone whose looking to use an unfortunate incident to your advantage?  These are all guiding questions to deliberate on student petitions.  If Dr. Hohenleitner knows you "before" and "after", it's possible he/she could provide documentation to support how the death impacted you.  The worse that can happen with your appeal is another decision of 'no'.  Always remember to keep the entire experience in perspective.  Come time for law school app, I think you'll have plenty to write about.

QUESTION: Thanks for your help and advice and regarding why I didn't seek Dr.Taitt earlier was because I don't have health insurance and when I finally had the courage to tell my parents we had to wait and save up money because it's quite expensive to see a psychiatrist and get prescriptions. I mentioned that to them as well.

Did you just say that or did you have a letter to support this?  Letter from Dr. Taitt or parents with additional documents if applicable.  There could be a bill from Dr. Taitt's office and or parents' employment insurance statements.  Remember, it's not enough to 'say it', but you should include all 'evidence' to support what you are saying.

Choosing the Right College

Joon Kim

I can help with all questions related to education, including college admissions related questions. I can also help in the areas of motivation, learning strategies, and topics that may be categorized under educational psychology. However, don't expect me to have the secrets to getting into your school of your dreams, because they don't exist. I can provide answers to help you better navigate through our educational system in the US. I cannot answer questions related to international educational systems and policies. My expertise is mainly in the areas of letters, arts, and sciences, with specialty in pre-health. Humanities and the arts are beyond the scope of my expertise.

I have been an educator for over 12 years and have experience at various levels. From multiple subject elementary substitute teacher, single subject science middle school teacher, undergraduate academic advisor, and most recently administrative director at small private graduate school. I've also taught adult learners in the area of food safety guidelines and practices. My experience has mainly been in higher education, both undergraduate and graduate in the natural sciences.

AERA(American Educational Research Association) NAAHP (National Association of Advisors for the Health Professions) IECA (Independent Educational Consultants Association)

BA Psychology, Master of Education Higher Education Administration, Doctor of Education Educational Leadership & Educational Psychology, UCLA College Admissions Counseling Certificate Program