Choosing the Right College/Highschool courses help

Question
Hey,

I don't know what category to ask this question so hopefully you can give me some advice :)

I'm 16, homeschooled, and will be a Junior this fall. I hate math, always have, and now I feel I'm behind :( I'm finishing Algebra 1 and will be starting Geometry this fall How many math courses do I need to get into a decent college? Do I need a math after Algebra 11 like Trig or pre-calculus or calculus? Would you recommend taking two math courses this year like Geometry and Algebra 11?

I'm also planning on taking Chemistry this year and Physics next year, is that okay? Is their any other courses I should take before college? I'm not planning on doing PSEO this year but will for sure do PSEO next year.

I do a Catholic online school and I feel like I'm behind in school :/  I haven't decided exactly what I want to go to for college or what college I want to go to for but I either want to work with children (child care, elementary education) Like be a teacher or child care provider or work with animals like a Vet Tech. What math and science courses do I need? Also, will I be behind if I only do 1 year of PSEO?  I get straight A's except in math I get a little lower so I have decent grades.

This is what my online school says I should take for 11th grade:

Religion 11
English 11
American Lit
American History
Algebra 11 (recommended but not necessary)(I haven't completed Geometry like I said)
Foreign Language 1st year (recommended)
My elective choices would be: Chemistry, Geography, Economics, Accounting, Logic, Advanced math, calculus)

For 12th grade they say:

Religion 12
English 12
American Government
World Geography (recommended)
Foreign Language 2nd year (recommended)
Elective (Chemistry, Geography, Economics, Accounting, Logic, Physics, Advanced math, Calculus)

I'm really worried about my future so any advice would be great and whatever courses you would recommend me to take my Junior and Senior year and also advice on PSEO!!

Thanks :)

Answer
Dear Kylie,

It's good you're concerned about your future and you're actively seeking out help. Although I can help you with your questions now, you really need ongoing advising from a college counselor.  I know you are homeschooled but there are private counselors like myself everywhere throughout the country, I'm sure there's some near you.  However,  you can find lots of info on the web.

Each state has different requirements for their higher education system so I recommend you check out MN education website for details.
You should then find the recommended high school courses.  Another way to find answers is to check with University of Minnesota admission requirements website.

To become a teacher for primary education,  you just need a bachelor's degree with teaching credential.   For secondary education,  you'll need to complete a major in the discipline you wish to teach. Can't help you with vet tech.

PS.  Not a good idea to use "hey" as a salutation.  

Choosing the Right College

Joon Kim