Choosing the Right College/Foreign Languages in College

Question
I'm from a very small high school and as a result did not have a lot of options for foreign languages to study. My school only offered French and Spanish, and I've taken 3 years of French, but now that I am a senior they've discontinued the French program. I plan on majoring in International Affairs and in order to do this I need to be competent in another language than English by the end of my undergraduate years so that I can go to graduate school. Although I have a strong base in the French language from my 3 years of study, I would like to learn a different language instead. I was wondering if it is a bad idea to begin learning a foreign language from scratch at the college level, or if this will be okay with most institutions, and also if it is common for students to do this.

Thank you for your time!

Answer
Hi Lyndsey,

It's perfectly fine to have foreign language between high school and undergrad to be different.  In fact only an extremely small percentage of students continue on with the same language from high school to college.

What will matter is your proficiency and cultural competence in that particular nationality. Remember,  it's not just a language,  it's embedded within a culture.  That's why I would also recommend you  study abroad with country of language you wish to study.  

Choosing the Right College

Joon Kim