Christian Spirituality/Who the Enemy?

Question
QUESTION: I'm not a Christian and interested in the religion of Christianity. I have a few questions, first, according to the bible, who is the enemy and how to defeat that enemy? I heard many Christians said and believe that if you trust the word of God then the enemies is defeated but I often wondering if they knew who the enemy is. You have to do something in order to withstand your enemy and hold your ground. So sir, who is the real enemy and how a Christian defeat it?

Thanks
Ryan (A man who is seeking the heart of God)

ANSWER: Ryan,

Before I can accurately or beneficially answer your question, answer these questions:

1.  What do you mean by "the religion of Christianity?"
2.  What makes you interested in "the religion of Christianity?"
3.  What have you read in the Bible about "the enemy" and defeating him?
4.  Why do you wonder if "many Christians" know who the enemy is?  

(It sounds like you have some idea about the enemy, like you've asked this question to other "Christians," and determined that their answers were unsatisfactory.  If this is the case, then I need to know what you already have in mind.  For example, you said, "You have to do something in order to withstand your enemy and hold your ground."  Did these other Christians tell you this, or is this your idea?)  

Let me know what you are already thinking first, then I'll answer your question.

Olatunde

QUESTION: 1.  What do you mean by "the religion of Christianity?"
Just like Buddhism is a religion, Islam is a religion, Judaism is a religion and of course Christianity is a religion. The definition of Christianity is The religion based on the person and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth.

Christianity is the world largest religion with over 2 billions followers. I am interested to know why Christianity stood out the rest.
I had never read the bible. I get my information with Christians friends.

It sounds like you have some idea about the enemy, like you've asked this question to other "Christians," and determined that their answers were unsatisfactory.

So it wrong for me to asked questions to my Christians friends? To survey their answers? Some said, your enemy is your flesh, while others said it Satan. A friend of mine said your enemy is the world. So I was confused by these different answers. How many enemies do "Christians" have? That why I am asking the question 'Who is the real enemy?"

Answer
Ryan,

Where did I say or imply that it was "wrong for you to ask questions to your Christian friends," or "to survey their answers?"  

This is the first time we've met.  Without you telling me, I don't know what you've asked your Christian friends, or fully what their responses were.  To fully answer your question, I have to understand your assumptions.  If I didn't know what you meant by "The Christian Religion," or what answers you've already received, then my answers would not connect with your true questions.

This is what the Bible says about the enemy,

"Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour."  1 Peter 5:8

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." James 4:7

So the Bible calls our enemy "the devil," which means "adversary," or "opponent."  
--Therefore, our "true enemy," according to the Bible, is the devil.  
--The way to defeat him is to submit to God's will and resist the devil's will.

What your Christian friends mean by "the flesh" and "the world" is that the devil attacks us through self centered desires (the flesh) that are aroused by the evil in this world.  We have one enemy--The Devil, who tempts our desires, through the seductions in this world.

Let me know if this answered your question, and if you have any more.

Olatunde  

Christian Spirituality

Olatunde Howard