Christian Spirituality/Catholicism and Protestantism.

What are the Similarities and Differences in Catholicism and Protestantism ?

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Prashant,

Thanks for writing.

There are a number of both similarities and differences between the two.

The general similarities include:

There is one God, normally understood to be a Trinity.

God created the material world out of nothing.

Man is guilty of sin, which separates people from God.

Jesus of Nazareth was God incarnate and died to make a way for Man to return to God.

The Holy Spirit is given to believers.

There are three rituals which tend to be common but which are understood differently by various denominations. These three are baptism, communion, and confession. Some denominations have a different number. For instance, the Catholic church holds seven sacraments instead of just three.

In addition to the differences in sacraments, there are a number of others. These include the role and authority of the Pope, the exclusivity of the Catholic church, the structure of the church, priestly celebacy, the form of baptism, the relative importance of Scripture and Tradition, the transubstantiation in the Eucharist, clergy versus laity, church governance, the place of "works" in the salvation process, and a host of other aspects.

It is important to note that neither the Eastern Orthodox nor the Anglican church consider themselves "Protestant" in a technical sense. That term, strictly speaking, applies to churches which grew out of Luther's Reformation.

If you would like further clarification of these, please let me know.

Thank you.

Christianity Religion is broadly divided into two different Divisions  or Communities viz Catholics and Protestants.

This are my views mentioned below from my side.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God has founded the religion Christianity. Mother Mary is Mother of the Lord. Both are Great. The Holy Churches are open to all whether Catholics or Protestants and not only Catholics or Protestants but to all other religions.

I personally born Hindu religion by birth visit Different churches
St Lewis Church, Mount Mary Church, St Michael Church. The Dear Friends, Brothers and Sisters of those churches allow me to enter the church, pray and worship before the All Mighty. I get mental peace. They do not stop me to enter the church just because i am from a different religion.

I personally feel Catholics should be allowed to visit the Protestants Churches and Protestants should be allowed to enter the Catholics Churches and they should do this.

I also personally feel there should be a common church for both the communities and not different churches for the Catholics and Protestants communities.

Note : Mother Mary is Mother of the Lord itself. Both are Great.
God is Great. Regarding my above opinion and views, can you please reply me with your views ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Not all Protestants acknowledge Mary as anyone special, although some do. Any person can enter any church building, but Protestants normally won't be allowed to hold a Protestant service in a Roman Catholic building. Similarly, while some Protestant groups will share a building, they generally won't share their building with a Catholic congregation.

It would be nice if we could all meet together, but the differences in understandings of church and ritual generally will not allow that to happen routinely.

Being Hindu, you understand that faith groups prefer their own groups. That's why there are Hindu, Buddhist, and other Eastern groups who similarly have their own, unshared meeting spaces and practices. It is no different in Western faith communities.

OK, my views.

I do not subscribe to the entire Mariology constellation of beliefs. While she was the mother of Jesus, that does not make her the mother of God, nor require that she is "the Queen of Heaven." At least in my view.

It would be good if all believers could meet together, and share rituals and rites. However, since I don't believe the various aspects of Mariology, it would be hard for me to voice Marian prayers, say the rosary, or keep Marian vigils. To do so would insult those who do believe it. As a result, I respect their beliefs by allowing them the space to practice their own rites.

Similarly, for those who don't accept each others' gods, or even accept that there are any gods, it would be hard to share space because again, we would not be truly joining with the group in their worship.Since worship is communal rather than individual, it is assumed that those assembled would AAT least be open to the larger groups's beliefs.

It is mor important to me that we could refrain from shooting each other in public than whether we could have a joint Buddhist-Catholic worship service (form example).  

Christian Spirituality

Hoyt Roberson

I can address any question dealing with Christian spirituality, spiritual formation or direction, and living in the presence of God.

MS in Ministry. Have provided spiritual direction, teaching, and counseling for more than ten years. Served as a congregational elder for ten years, providing pastoral counseling, instruction, and preaching. I am a member of our local spiritual directors group and have read and practiced extensively in the area of Christian spirituality. My library contains about 200 books on the topic from various perspectives.

Local spiritual directors group Local Emmaus community Local congregation

MS in Ministry Master of Counseling in Marriage and Family Therapy