Christian Spirituality/gnostic gospel and nag hammadi

Question
I am abit confused about the difference between the nag hammadi scrolls and the dead sea scrolls. Could you help me clarify this point? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Answer
Hi, Nick.

The Nag Hammadi texts were discovered in Egypt, and are largely Gnostic Christian writings. The most famous is likely the Gospel of Thomas. These were leather bound codices. They were discovered in 1945.

The Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered in a cave above the Dead Sea in Palestine, and are Jewish writings, probably of the members of the Qumram community. These are scrolls and scroll fragments as opposed to leather bound books. They were discovered over a ten year period between 1946-1956.

So...
Hammadi Library
Egypt
1945
Gnostic Christian
Leather bound codices (books)

Dead Sea Scrolls
Palestine
1946-1956
Jewish
Scrolls

Does that help?

Blessings

Hoyt

Christian Spirituality

Hoyt Roberson