Christian Spirituality/Miracles of Lord Jesus Christ.

Question
Dear Rev. Jason

http:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracles_of_Jesus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiWBMQAqfIY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNvKIO47_vw
http://christianity.about.com/od/biblefactsandlists/a/Miracles-Of-Jesus.htm

What could the reasons that we as common people cannot perform the miracles performed by Lord Jesus Christ ?

is it because of the following reasons ?

1. Lord Jesus Christ had Love, Compassion, Brotherhood, Charity, Peace, Showing Mercy, Kindness and so other noble qualities which we as common people do not possess.
2. Lord Jesus Christ didn't had any of this evil qualities viz
Greed, Lust, Jealousy, Anger, Hatred which lead to commit sins
in our life.
3. We as common people are born with worldly things viz money, material etc, Lord Jesus Christ was not bounded by those worldly things.

Can you please share your views on this ?

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Prashant,

Thanks for your question.  The Miracles of Jesus are probably one of the most misunderstood details of scripture, even among Christians.  

The primary reason for the difference in Jesus ability and other humans' inability to perform miraculous healings, resurrections, and control over nature is that He is God, and other humans are not.  It is not related to his virtues and our vices or to our attachment to material things and his lack of that attachment.  Such assignments of value resulting in ability/disability or reward/punishment are completely foreign to Christianity.

Even as God, though, the miracles were not the purpose for His presence on earth, nor were they a central element of His life and ministry.  Instead, His purpose was to be a substitute for humanity by living in perfect obedience to God's Law, then make substitution again by dying and suffering all of God's wrath and punishment in place of humanity.  Because He was innocent of sin, death could not hold Him, and He rose to life the third day after He was crucified.  Because He rose, all who trust in Him will also rise again on the Last Day when He comes to judge the living and the dead, after which they will live forever in bodies that are free from pain and suffering.  

Because of all this, where Jesus was present, hints of this final reality began to occur to the people who were there.  So, since Jesus will one day perfectly and permanently raise and heal those who trust in Him, the same happened immediately, although temporarily for those who were in His bodily presence during His earthly life.  However this was a result of His substitutionary life, death, and resurrection, and only a foretaste of the greater restoration that will occur on the Last Day.

Christian Spirituality

Rev. Jason P. Peterson