Christian Spirituality/God speaking?

QUESTION: How do I know if God is speaking to me. Over the last year, I have been seeing signs that say things such as be patient, keep praying, have faith.

These may not be signs of course. They range from things as simple as videos on youtube, Facebook posts, and many people.

The situation seems impossible but I am still praying for the outcome I believe He is pointing to

Based on your question, it seems you really  want to know what God's will is for you.  The fact is, God uses many different ways to get our attention or to get us to move in certain directions.  He can use other people.  He can let our attention get fixed on a saying or writing that reminds us of what we are trying to answer.  God also, through His word (the Bible), shows us how other people made decisions about doing His will.

The thing that helps me to get better at differentiating between God speaking and me choosing signs to support my inclinations, is to read His word more often-the more I read it, the more my faith grows (Romans 10:17).  The more I read God's word, the more I understand what matters to Him and the more I can make decisions based on what will be pleasing to Him.  

In Hebrews 11:6 it says, "And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards  those who earnestly seek him."  You need faith to please God with your decisions.  As you decide on things, God wants you to decide with the attitude that you are doing what you believe will be pleasing to Him.  God will reward your faith as you continue to take steps that lead to a greater understanding of His heart and His nature;  He will reveal more of Himself to you.  

Raul, God says also in Hebrews 11 (vs. 1) that faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.  Faith involves hope and certainty.  If you are hopeful and sure that God would be pleased with your decision, then you will only know if you are right when you act on your belief.  God can show us and nudge us in different ways, but he leaves it up to us to decide based on our faith in Him.   

Here are some questions you can ask yourself:  Would I offend God if I decided to take this action?  Would God be pleased?  Would my actions help others or only me?  

One last thing, some decisions neither hurt nor please God.  For example, if I choose to get a cheeseburger instead of a chicken sandwich, God could care less.  There are some decisions that are a matter of preference and exploration.  God leaves those up to us to choose those things without being concerned whether or not He would be pleased.  

Please let me know if this helped.

QUESTION: I think God wants me to better myself, get a job, I also think God wants me to pray for the betterment of another person.

I'm praying for a possible relationship/marriage.

If he is saying be patient, have faith etc then perhaps he is pointing to the possibility of marriage. In the past he worked in my life but on his time table.

Others have told me to be patient, have faith, pray.

You are right, God does want you to grow and mature.  He wants you to do everything that could help you make the most of the life that He has given you.  Here is a passage from the Bible that helps me to remember that God wants me to better myself:

5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins.

10 Therefore, my brothers and sisters,make every effort to confirm your calling and election. For if you do these things, you will never stumble, 11 and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 1

Take action on the things that you believe God wants you to do.  Perhaps you could read the Book of Philippians, especially chapters 2 and 4.  That Book has some good practicals about living a day-to-day life that is pleasing to God.  You could use Bible Gateway to get the Bible online.

Prayer is always helpful (see Luke 18).

I hope that helps.

QUESTION: Forgive the many questions.

The signs came or started coming when I asked God if I was meant for a certain person, then kept coming now as I pray for them to better their lives.

I know the signs are clear, but I am filled with doubt.

Have you looked into the passages that I gave you?  See also Psalm 37.  

If you are "filled with doubt,"  then perhaps you need to spend more time praying and understanding what God's will is for you.  God does not want you to make any decisions that you don't believe you should make (Romans 14:22-23 talks about doubt).  You need to step back and let God get you to a point where you are convinced one way or the other.  

Christian Spirituality

Mario Depeine, Sr.

I can answer a variety of questions related to living as a modern day Christian. I can answer questions about day to day living as a Christian. How should a Christian handle conflicts at home and at work? What should Christians do when faced with impossible choices? What Bible passages are most helpful in resolving specific issues? How is the Bible relevant today? Is there a God and how can we be sure? Is the Bible true?

I have been a consistent student of the Bible for over 20 years. I have lived as a Christian for over 25 years. I was a full time minister for almost four years. I have taught various Bible classes on many different topics such as marriage, child rearing, stress management, anxiety, Christian dating, becoming a follower of Jesus, and many more.

CNN iReport, Church of Christ,, and Yahoo Contributors.

Amazon and Barnes and Noble: Immanuel's Bride and the Holy Spirity: Building a Whole New World, Yahoo Contributors,, and CNN iReport.

I have a BA in Psychology from Princeton Universiy. I am a certified Elementary and Middle School teacher. I speak four languages (English, French, Spanish and Creole).