Christian Spirituality/Gentile/Jew

Why was the Gentiles willing to accept Jesus as the Messiah but the Jews did not (at first)?

Thanks for your question.  I'm not sure it really is the case that the gentiles were willing to acknowledge Jesus before the Jews.  All of Jesus' initial disciples were Jews.  The 3000 baptized on Pentecost were also Jews.  All of the authors of the New Testament, except Luke, were also Jews.  It is only when Peter is sent to Cornelius, then when Paul (also a Jew) is sent out on his missionary journeys,  that the gentiles begin to trust in Jesus as well.  There are couple of gentiles who receive healing from Jesus in the Gospels, but those are passing interactions, and the Gospels don't follow their stories beyond their healing.  

If you might be talking about why the growth of the Church during the later portions of the New Testament era was primarily among gentiles, it would seem to me that the reason is more demographic than spiritual.  Some Jews trusted in Jesus; some did not.  Some gentiles who heard about Jesus trusted in Him, while others did not.  However there were significantly larger numbers of gentiles to be reached than there were Jews, so we see the number of Jewish Christians level off while gentile Christians continue to increase in number.  

If there is a facet to this question you had in mind that was not addressed here, feel free to post a follow-up, and I will answer further.  

Christian Spirituality

Rev. Jason P. Peterson

I believe that the spirituality of historical Christianity shares little in common with that of any other world religion, and I welcome any questions regarding the spirituality of Christianity, particularly in relation to the Reformation Traditions. I also take a great interest in examining new Christian movements and popular trends in Christianity from a Reformation perspective. I have particular experience regarding the original Greek text of the New Testament and its meaning, as well as questions regarding liturgy, evangelism, and preaching.

I have been a pastor in the Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod for the past six years at St. John's Lutheran Church in Burt, IA. I currently serve as chairman of the Commission on Ministerial Growth & Support of the Missouri Synod's Iowa District West and as Track Chaplain at Algona Raceway in Algona, IA. I also write as a religion columnist for two local newspapers.

Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod

Algona Upper Des Moines (newspaper) Bancroft Register (newspaper)

B.A. Concordia University - Ann Arbor, MI (Biblical Languages) M.Div. Concordia Theological Seminary, Fort Wayne, IN (Exegetical Theology, Pastoral Ministry & Missions)

Zion Lutheran Church (Columbia City, IN) Zion Lutheran Church (Altamont, IL) St. John's Lutheran Church (Burt, IA) Zion Lutheran Church (Lu Verne, IA) Algona Raceway (IA) Fairmont Raceway (MN) Hancock County Speedway (Britt, IA) Clay County Fairgrounds Raceway (Spencer, IA)