Christian Spirituality/ressurection of the soul after death

Question
Hi Mario, could you please clarify when the soul is judged by God; I was always under the understanding that when you died you went before God for judgement, but  revelation says that we all will be judged when Christ comes during the end days. The souls will be resurrected and be judged along with the living. For decades I have heard statements that He/She is smiling down from Heaven, or similar statements that would counter that the soul is not in Heaven or Hell until final judgement. Thank You,,,,,A confused believer.:)

Answer
We have a soul that only God can keep alive or destroy (Matthew 10:28).  The soul can be destroyed in hell, by God.  No one else has the authority to destroy the soul.

You are right.  The Bible makes reference to judgment as an event that occurs after death or when Jesus returns.

In the account of Lazarus and the rich man (Luke 16), it looks like Lazarus, after his death, was taken to a comforting place, while the rich man, after his death, was taken to a place of torment (Luke 16:19-28).  Also, the book of Hebrews (9:27) says, "Just as people are destined to die once, and after that to face judgment."  So here, we see that judgment is reserved for after the death of an individual, in bodily form.  See also 2 Peter 2:4.

The Bible also states that there is a "Judgment Day" or a "Day of Judgment."  We may be able to conclude that such a day could be experienced after a person's physical death, as described above, or it could be described as the day that Jesus returns and judges the world.  The following are some of the passages that talk of the "Day of Judgment":  2 Peter 2:9; 2 Peter 3:7;1 John 4:17; and Jude 1:6.  Every one will get to experience a "Judgment Day."  

When Jesus returns, the Bible states that He will judge the world.  "Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. The earth and the heavens fled from his presence, and there was no place for them" ( Rev 20:11).  Jesus, as King, would be sitting on the throne, to judge the world.  Matthew 25:31-46, highlights that fact even more clearly. It talks about Jesus separating the sheep from the goats:  31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left."  At the end of that judgment process, it says (vs. 46), “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”  Goats go to eternal punishment while sheep go to eternal life.  See also Matthew 2:22-27.

It is hard to know for certain what the time lines are when we are talking about God's "Judgment Day."  We don't know if judgment occurs immediately after one's death or if the Bible is saying, "the next significant event for the deceased is judgment."  It is clear that when Jesus returns, He will judge the world.  

Please let me know if this answers your question.

Christian Spirituality

Mario Depeine, Sr.