Christian Spirituality/Birth date of Lord Jesus Christ.

Dear John

We are in the 21st century current year being 2014.

As mentioned in the Wikipedia, Lord Jesus Christ was born in
64 BC to 3033 AD. We celebrate Christmas on 25th December, Lord Jesus Christ's Birth date.

In Which century Lord Jesus Christ was born ?. Is it 4th century as mentioned (64 BC to 3033 AD) in Wikipedia ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

First of all, a slight correction...  A century is a 100 year period.  To say that someone was born in the 4th century would be to assume he was born between the year 300 and 399.  Just like the 21st century is 2000 through 2999 and so on.

I can't really answer the question because nobody really knows for exact certain of Jesus' (Yeshua's) exact date of birth.  This was never mentioned in the bible or noncanonical scriptures.  However, the dates given in Wikipedia are very close to anyone's best guess based on comparing specific events and dates in the bible with other known dates.  For example, the month in which He was born can be best estimated to be the end of September because we know that Mary conceived while Elizabeth (John's mother) was in her sixth month of pregnancy.  And although John's birthdate is not specified, his birth encompassed many known and calculable events which gives us the ability to calculate john's birthdate.  This let's us estimate when Jesus was born...  but it's still an estimate.

But these are simply mathematical queries.  This is also why we get different birthdates based on different sources.  Some people even account for events that took place after the cricifiction in order to count backwards to his birthdate.  The only thing we really know for certain is that Jesus was not born in December.  This is simply a more modern day date in which His birthday is celebrated based on old Pagan traditions that got in the way over time.

Despite all of this, we now get to the "year" of his birth.  You will hear countless translations concerning this but the most promenant one that I have seen that agrees with my own calculations can be best found at the following URL.  I feel simply giving you the url will be far easier than me trying to just reword all of it here....

However, please keep in mind that I rarely agree with much of anything else written on the following site.  It's best to simply stick with that one page that I am linking to below.

I hope this helps.  

Christian Spirituality

Any question pertaining to Christianity and other religions.

30+ years study and research

Doctrine in Divinity Ex-Military Intelligence