Christian Spirituality/Popular Christian Women Speakers

Question
Are women like Joyce Meyers violating 1Timthoth2:12?

Answer
There certainly are some concerns about the activities of Joyce Meyer, Beth Moore, and others, based on these verses and some of Paul's other statements in 1 Corinthians and the Pastoral Epistles.  

The verses speak in particular to the pastoral office and to the services of the church, so if any of these women claim to be pastors or speak in the context of church services, they are clearly violating Scriptural commands.  Many would also include any activity which gives them spiritual authority over men.  

Beyond what is mentioned above, there may be some place for their sort of work in leading women's Bible studies or speaking to women's groups.  Their appearance of claiming pastoral authority is troubling, but even more so, is that WHAT they teach is simply filled with false doctrine and unbiblical positions which are more akin to self-help and pop-psychology than to any kind of Scriptural teaching.  

So, are they to be avoided?  Most certainly, as far as I'm concerned.  But in my case, even if their role wasn't pastoral and wasn't in the context of a church service, I simply could not in good conscience allow them even to speak to the women's group of my congregation because I believe what they teach to be harmful.

For more information on teachers like these, Christ Rosebrough at Fighting for the Faith regularly features analysis of them and others like them in his analysis of current events in Christianity in his audio broadcasts at http://www.fightingforthefaith.com/ and Tood Wilken at Issues Etc. also did an interview with Ms. Meyer a few years back which can be found at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcM088RXLfY  

Christian Spirituality

Rev. Jason P. Peterson