Christian Spirituality/Sacrilege- old churches

First let me say thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

I am not sure if I am in the right section for this question but hopefully you can give me a little insight.

I would like to know, would it be consider sacrilegious to use the lumber from an old church to build something new?

I am writing a novel and in the novel a couple has been married for over fifty years and the wife dies. The daughter finds the old chapel where they were married at,falling apart and abandoned, and wants to build a garden arbor/pergola for her father out of the remains of the church as a little memento of their love and vows.
Would this be considered desecration?
I apologize for my ignorance on the matter and hope my question is not offense.
Thank you again for your time.

To the best of my knowledge, I can not really fathom any particular reason that this would be considered sacrilegious.  As a matter of fact, repurposing old churches has even become somewhat of a tradition in some places such as Pittsburgh, PA.

The only way that I would consider this desecration is if the church was destroyed in a disrespectful manner such as burning it down or demoloshing it over anger.  

However, taking it apart and reusing the materials for a home, on the other hand, would actually be the opposite and quite respectful as apposed to simply allowing it to sit and deteriorate over time since it is no longer in use.

I hope this helps.  if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask.

Christian Spirituality

Any question pertaining to Christianity and other religions.

30+ years study and research

Doctrine in Divinity Ex-Military Intelligence