Christianity -- Christian Living/curse

Since you're from Scotland, I want to tell you I believe my ancestors came from your area and settled in N. Carolina. I believe my ancestors were staunch Presbeterians (at least some of them). I think some of them got away from God and God cursed them, even unto several of their generations. You know God talks about cursing generations because of their sins. I became a Chrtistian almost miraculously on my Jubilee year (wnen I turned 49 and 7 months). I believe this happened as the generational curses stopped for me at this time. Of course there's other factors in this also, but I believe it played a big part. Do you think this COULD have happened?

Hi Barney
Thanks for this question.  You're right, that God does say in Deuteronomy 5 "I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me".

However, it's really important to read this in context.  It was written about the Israelites who worshipped other Gods (usually mingling with local pagan worship practices).  

But the key verse is the very next line, which you have to read alongside it.  God continues with... "but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments."

I believe that what this is saying is that one the one hand, there are consequences to turning away from God, and these consequences can go down the generations.  But compare a few generations with "a thousand generations" and you will see the contrast God is making.  God's love is HUGE!

There is a good book that I am reading just now that you might find interesting.  It's called Emotionally Healthy Spirituality by Peter Scazzero and it deals with some of the issues of past family history (going back a few generations).

However, in the big scheme of things, we need to know that Jesus is greater than any curse, and so I would not let this thought (about curses) preoccupy you.  Instead, focus on the huge love God has for you and allow this love to overflow through the gifts in your life to let others know of this love.

God bless you Barney  <><  

Christianity -- Christian Living

I am a committed Christian, based in Scotland (UK). I work as a psychologist and have a real interest in people. My main interests are Christianity, understanding people, personality, spiritual gifts and relationships. I prayerfully respond to appropriate questions on Christian Living. Please pray for me as I respond to your requests...

Experience in the area: I have been a Christian for over 12 years now and have also been involved with psychology for 13 years.

Church elder, qualified psychologist (but I'm answering questions as a Christian, not as a health professional)