Christianity -- Christian Living/marriage

Mr. Senn, the man with the name that has to be good in the Christian realm or he wouldn't be doing this (ha). Seriously though, here's my question, and I believe this one will really test your Bible skills: What is marriage in God's eyes. Most Christians, and preachers, will say it's the "traditional" one, in which there's a public ceremony with a certificate signed and stor3ed in the local county courthouse. The bible never does define marriage though. Be careful here. I have researched this question somewhat.

Because you have already researched this, there is no reason for me to try and match skills with you, however, since there seems to be a real desire to gather information, I will add my input.

In the Hebrew language (Most of the Old Testament), the term that is translated marry means to take the role of a husband that has died, and to sire children in his stead.

In the Greek, that meaning is somewhat conveyed, but it is more specific, in that it also relates to simply taking a woman as wife. Much of understanding the terminology in the Greek is, as it is in English, dependent upon context. There are places in the New Testament (Greek) where it means as the Hebrew, relating to taking the brother's place to sire. There are other places, as when Jesus spoke specifically of a man establishing a relationship as the husband, with a woman as wife, in the legal sense.

Some have indicated, although I have found no support from Scripture for this view, that a sexual union creates a marriage. In the English language, this can be shown to be true, but again, there is no support for it in Scripture.

I hope that your research coincides with mine on the subject. If not, I hope you will consider the additional information I provided.

With Love In Christ,
Phillip Senn

Christianity -- Christian Living

Phillip Senn

I seek to help Christians in doctrinal matters. Many Christians think that doctrine doesn`t matter, yet the Scriptures indicate otherwise. It is my desire to share from the Word of God with those who have legitimate questions. As such, I cannot claim expertise, except that I will seek to answer from the Authority (the Bible). If I cannot find a Biblical answer, I may offer an opinion based upon my understanding of Scripture, or I will simply reply with an, "I Don`t Know".

Past/Present clients
Currently involved in online ministry (chat rooms & blogs) where doctrinal issues are discussed frequently by various individuals.