Christianity -- Christian Living/Saved Christian

Question
Pastor, I have a lifelong friend who has used to be gay and has lived with his partner for 40 yrs. 20 yrs. ago he became a born again christian, and say's he no longer has a sexual relationship, but has to be with and live with his partner. He thinks he would go to heaven if he died. What do you think? I say that since his partner still practices this lifestyle, and it is in the same house, he should flee from this kind of thing if he is truly sincere. Thanks

Answer
Yes, I agree with your assessment of this situation.  Your friend is courting temptation by continuing to live with his homosexual partner. Does your friend have any desire for the things of God?  Does he desire to please and glorify God in all that he does?  If so, then he will want to obey Scripture. If your friend doesn't have a desire to obey Scripture and continues to justify himself in his living arrangements then I wonder if God has really done a work in his heart at all. He may have made a spurious confession of faith. Just believing that he thinks he will go to heaven does not make one a born again Christian. To be born again, when must understand that he sins because he is a sinner and that the wrath of God is against sinners.

Romans 1:18
For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;

Luke 3:7
Then said he to the multitude that came forth to be baptized of him, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

The only way to escape the coming wrath of God is to repent and turn away from sin.

Luke 13:5
I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Acts 3:19
Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.

The gift of God is eternal life....

Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Ephesians 2:7-9
7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

If your friend truly is a born again Christian then here are some Scriptures that should have some bearing on this situation.  Another passage that I will not reprint here is Romans 1, the whole chapter. Even though he justifies himself by saying that he no longer engages in sexual activity with his partner, the fact remains that by continuing to live daily with that temptation, he is in disobedience to God's Word in the following ways:

1. He is yoked with an unbelievers
2. How is his living arrangements bringing glory to God's name?
3. Are his living arrangements encouraging him to abstain from fornication?
4. What about the appearance of evil?
5. How can he abstain from fleshly lusts in this living arrangement?
6. How is this living arrangement a good example to other believers?

2 Corinthians 6:14
Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

1 Corinthians 10:31
Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

1 Thessalonians 4:3
For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication:

1 Thessalonians 5:22
Abstain from all appearance of evil.

1 Peter 2:11
Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul;

2 Timothy 2:22
Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

1 Timothy 4:12
Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.

P.S.  I am not a pastor.  I am just a Christian who desires to help others with their questions about Christian living.

Christianity -- Christian Living

Marsha I.