Christianity -- Christian Living/Alcohol

Question
Why did Jesus turn water into wine and made people drunk if drunkenness is a sin?

Answer
Hi Alicia
Thank you for your question.  It is an interesting one.
Firstly, a few things to consider...

1. Although Jesus turned water into wine at the wedding, it is not recorded that people got drunk from this.  The banquet master commented to the bridegroom that normally people bring out cheap wine when people are drunk, but in this case, Jesus made excellent wine.

2. Drinking wine is not a sin - as Paul even recommends to Timothy to drink wine for health reasons (1 Timothy 5 - "Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses").

3. I do not believe that getting drunk is in itself a sin.  I think it is the actions and thoughts that flow afterwards that are sins.  In Ephesians 5:18 we read Paul's words "Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit"

Each culture is very different.  I see that you are in Malaysia.  In some countries, Christians would choose to not drink alcohol at all.  In other countries, Christians think it is fine to drink with moderation.  Paul teaches about this kind of difference of opinion in Romans 14, which I would recommend you read.  There is a link here if you need it: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=romans%2014&version=NIV

Christianity is, in my opinion, a religion of celebration.  Sometimes we take things so seriously and become very severe, in a way that Jesus never was.  However, we also need to be sensitive to the cultures we live in an avoid leading others into temptation and sin (as mentioned in Romans 14).

I hope this helps?

God bless you Alicia <><

Christianity -- Christian Living

Cudmonk