Christianity -- Christian Living/marriage

Question
Dr. Swaby, I noticed you have expertise in marital questions, so here's one: What if i came to you with my common law wife ( I explained that we went to the river and said vows to each other putting God at the center of our marriage and dedicating it to Him). Would you say our marriage is valid?

Answer
Hello Barney,

Thank you for writing as you know I am a Christian Counselor. So my first concern is what the word of God says about marriage. Marriage and the family are established by God. Even though you two exchanged vows you are not considered married by the laws of the land any children you have will be born out of wedlock. Read Ephesians 5:22-33 that will give you some insight as to how God views marriage.

During the wedding ceremony you are sharing your "commitment" to each other with those you invite to the wedding (witnesses) they are there to witness and support the two of you.The commitment you make in a legal marriage according to the word of God you two become one.

So to answer your question  Barney, your marriage is not valid, because it was not a legal marriage  with the right to be intimate with each other, and there is no record to show that you two are legally married records that allows you to act as one. Is there  a reason that you two not marry legally? I pray this answer was helpful.
Please feel free to write again if you have any additional questions.

Blessings
Dr. Swaby

Christianity -- Christian Living

Dr.M. Swaby