Christianity -- Christian Living/salvation

One of your expertise areas: being a christ follower versus being just a believer. Can you elaborate on this, and especially as it pertains to salvation. Can both of these be saved?

Hi Barney - thanks very much for your question.  Sorry for a little delay, been on the road this week.  The difference is that it's one thing to believe and another to follow.  In other words, does Satan believe in Jesus?  Well yes he does.  But, does he follow Him?  Of course not.  That's the easiest example I can think of to paint the difference.  

I hear so often the term "believer" in my own church, conversations, on TV, the radio, etc.  And while the intent of the person is to mean someone who does accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior, there is a difference between just believing in something/someone and truly accepting them and following them, especially in this context of Christianity.  So, in terms of salvation, does the person that simply believes there is a God and/or that a man named Jesus truly did walk the earth have salvation?  Well, no, if they haven't truly accepted Jesus as their Lord and Savior and asked Him for his merciful salvation and saving grace.  Look at the Pharisees arguing with Jesus.  They certainly "believed" that Jesus was standing there in front of them, but they did not follow Him or His teachings and that He was the only way to God.  Remember in John 8:44 - Jesus tells them that they are of their father the devil!

Now, this can get very "touchy" because someone could interpret this stance as judging another's heart.  That's not the intent here.  Only Jesus truly knows everyone's heart and judges them perfectly.  Look at the guy on the cross that was saved right then and there?  You and I would might have said, "no way is that guy getting saved", but yet Jesus knew him perfectly and gave him eternal life.  Praise be to God!

The other thing to point out is that a Christ follower, try as they might, will never be able to perfectly follow Him.  We're sinners here on earth, and until Jesus returns that's the way it'll be.  We can and should and with the help of the Holy Spirit change our ways and sin less
but we'll never achieve perfection this side of heaven.

I hope this helps out.  

Grace & Truth

Christianity -- Christian Living

John Gump

I can answer questions concerning the following areas of Christianity: - True Christian Doctrine - Difficult concepts to grasp including: the Trinity, inerrancy of the Bible, salvation by grace alone, controversial sayings of Jesus throughout the NT, does the Bible contradict itself, and spiritual warfare. - What it means to be a true Christ Follower rather than just a believer. - Catholicism - Questions related to other sects that claim to be Christian but have widely varying views and beliefs that differ from Evangelical Christianity. - Young Life (high school age Christian program) I also can help recommend reading material on various issues people face in this world, whether a Christ follower or not. Why bad things happen to good people, How to walk with God, understanding scripture, Jesus in our workplaces, spiritual warfare, brokenness, testing of the spirits, etc.

I've been a Christian for 29 years. My wife and I are members of an evangelical Church and we have taught and hosted many bible studies, men/women groups. I have learned throughout my 29 years of being a Christ Follower to rely solely on the Bible for the single Truth source of Christianity. I also recognize that there is a plethora of extra-biblical (yet Bible based) resources available that help us grow in our knowledge of and intimacy with Christ that I can help guide you toward.

Bachelor of Science from Case Western Reserve University. Minor in Religious Studies with special concentration on Judaism.