Christianity -- Christian Living/Bible Contradiction?

Question
Hello Don,

I have a challenging question that you will find in a copy and paste of mine. Thank you for giving me your thoughts.

"I was asked about an apparent contradiction between Luke's Gospel and Matthews Gospel. I would like to see what you think....
Matthew 28 says that Jesus would meet the disciples in Galilee for the first appearance after the resurrection. He did.
Luke 24 says that Jesus met with them in Jerusalem for the first appearance.
Is this a contradiction or is there a reasonably valid explanation?"

Answer
Hi Ben,

Thanks for this great question.  This one was a challenge to me.  I found the answer in a great resource: "When Critics Ask" which takes apparent contradictions through the Bible and explains them.  I will quote from this book below:

LUKE 24:49—Why did the disciples go to Galilee when Jesus commanded them to stay in Jerusalem?

PROBLEM: According to Luke, the apostles were told to “tarry in the city of Jerusalem” until Pentecost. But Matthew tells us that they went into Galilee (Matt. 28:10, 16).

SOLUTION: First, it is possible that the command was not given until after they had been in Galilee. In this event there would be no conflict whatsoever. Furthermore, the command to “tarry” simply meant to make Jerusalem their headquarters. It did not preclude taking short trips elsewhere. Jerusalem was the place they were to receive the Holy Spirit (Luke 24:49) and to begin their work

Geisler, N. L., & Howe, T. A. (1992). When critics ask : a popular handbook on Bible difficulties (p. 400). Wheaton, Ill.: Victor Books.

I hope that this helps you.

In Christ
Pastor Don

Christianity -- Christian Living

Pastor Don Carpenter