Christianity -- Christian Living/Bible Contradiction?

Hello Marco,

I have a challenging question that you will find in a copy and paste of mine. Thank you for giving me your thoughts.

"I was asked about an apparent contradiction between Luke's Gospel and Matthews Gospel. I would like to see what you think....
Matthew 28 says that Jesus would meet the disciples in Galilee for the first appearance after the resurrection. He did.
Luke 24 says that Jesus met with them in Jerusalem for the first appearance.
Is this a contradiction or is there a reasonably valid explanation?"

Dear Ben,

there is certainly a striking contradiction between Matthew and Luke about the place where Jesus ascended to heaven.
I believe that the Gospels were written either by direct witnesses of those miracles or by persons who personally knew some direct witnesses of those miracles. The Gospels were written only a few decades after Jesus' resurrection (there are many historical element supporting this); they are then very reliable also from an historical point of view (of course atheists do not consider them reliable, because they reject "a priori"  the idea of God).
Of course, some details may be wrong; when we report a fact occurred some years before, we can confuse several details, but we certainly remember the essential facts.
God has not intervened to correct these irrilevalt details, because the purpose of the Bible is to teach us God's salvific Truth, and not every irrilevant details.
The Bible is inspired by God, but it is not dictated by God.
On the other hand, the Old Testament reports many facts, which occurred many centuries before the time they were written. These fatcs were handed down only orally for many centuries. Certainly the facts reported in the Old Testament are less reliable from an historical point of view, even if they contains fundamental spiritual teachings. In particular the Genesis is  to be interpreted symbolically.

I believe that God inspired the authors of the Bible with the purpose to teach us the spiritual and moral Truth, and not with the purpose to teach us science or history.

I would like to quote a verse from the Bible:

Ti 2:15  And because from thy infancy thou hast known the holy scriptures which can instruct thee to salvation by the faith which is in Christ Jesus.
16  All scripture, inspired of God, is profitable to teach, to reprove, to correct, to instruct in justice:
17  That the man of God may be perfect, furnished to every good work.

In these verses Paul says that Scripture is profitable to teach in JUSTICE, and not in science or history.

The official teachings of the Catholic Church are given in the Cathechism. I report here a verse from the Cathechism

136 God is the author of Sacred Scripture because he inspired its human authors; he acts in them and by means of them. He thus gives assurance that their writings teach without error his saving truth.

Observe that in this verse points out that the Bible teaches without errors "the saving truth"; since history, geography or science has nothing to do with the saving truth, there is no reason to expect that the Bible cannot contain scientific or historical errors.

I hope this may help,

Your brother in Christ,

PS I think that faith cannot come only from logic, because to have faith in God means to trust and love God.
I think however that logics and science prove the existence of our soul and the existence of  God and that there are many rational arguments strongly supporting the christian faith.
Basically, science has proved that the state of the universe is determined by some specific mathematical equations, the laws of physics; the universe cannot exist independently from such equations, which determine the events and the properties of such events.
However we know that a mathematical equation cannot exist by itself, but it exists only as a thought in a conscious and intelligent mind. In fact, a mathematical equation is only an abstract concept, which existence presupposes the existence of a person conceiving such a concept.  
Therefore, the existence of this mathematically structured universe does imply the existence of an intelligent God; this universe cannot exist by itself, but it can exist only if there is a conscious and inteligent God conceiving  it according to some specific mathematical equations.
Since the universe cannot exists by itself, but only because God conceive it, God certainly knows everything in every instant. God knows everything becuase eberything is under His control and everything exists only because of Him.

There are some other arguments, which explanation is rather long and Allexperts allows only to give short answers. You can find such arguments  in the following site

where  I analyse the incongruencies of the materialistic conception of the mind, on the basis of our present scientific knowledges about brain and matter.
This analysis points out how the laws of physics  prove that the   brain cannot generate consciousness, which existence implies  the presence in man of a unbiological/unmaterial element. The problem of consciousness is then strictly connected to the one of the existence of the soul and, consequently, the existence of God.
In the first article entitled “Mind and brain...” you can find a general discussion of the mind and brain problem from a scientific point of view.
In the second article entitled “Scientific contraddictions in materialism”
you  can find an explanation of the fundamental inconsistencies of  the  typical arguments used by materialists, such as the concept of emergent, macroscopic or holist property, complexity, information, etc.
In the section called “FAQ: answers to  visitors' questions” you can find the answer to many typical questions, such as "Are there any scientifically proved miracles?", "Does the existence of the universe imply the existence of God?", "Can science explain God?", "Can science establish which is the true religion?", "Can science explain consciousness in the future?", and many others.  

Christianity -- Christian Living

Marco B.

I am a christian physicist and I am married with four children. I can give a scientific proof of the existence of the soul. I am very interested in the following issues: faith and science, rational proof of the existence of God, christianity versus other religions, the Bible, protestantism versus catholicism, miracles. Probably you will find interesting my answers to questions such as: "How can I know that God exist?", "How can I know that the christian faith is the true religion?", "Why does evil exist?", "Who created evil?", "Why does Hell exist?", "Why did Jesus have to suffer on the Cross?" , "If God knows everything, why did He create those souls who go to Hell?"

Theology, physics, biblical studies, catholic apologetics.

I am author of several articles on the most important scientific journals, such as Physical Review B and Physical Review Letters.

A degree in Physics and a Ph.D. in Solid State Physics.