Christianity -- Christian Living/Deacon

I have two questions for you..

1. Can a man be a deacon if he never marry?

2. Is Apostle Paul a deacon/elder?

Hi Ryan - thanks for your question.  On your first question, in 1 Timothy, Paul does provide "qualifications" for a deacon, and the mention of "husband to one wife" does suggest marriage as a requirement, but with more inspection, it could also be referring to a man who is solely yoked to only his wife, and not to other women in a "marriage-like" relationship.  Of course not sexually, but moreover the degree of unity that he has with his wife and his wife only should not also be shown by deacon to other women.  There are other requirements talking about leading one's family, which does infer he's married and also could have children.  

The other thing to note is the role of deacon varies by church denomination.  Presbyterian deacons and Baptist deacons have differences.  I think the important thing to note is that anyone who is called into ministry and service, whether or not they are dubbed a deacon, should possess and demonstrate Christ-like qualities and servant leadership.  Not perfectly of course, but to follow Christ and be Jesus to others.

On your second question, Paul was clearly an Apostle, sent by Christ to preach the gospel to all nations.  Yes, he served, taught, instructed, prayed, lead, built, rebuked, etc, but in the truest sense, he was an apostolic missionary commissioned by Jesus to spread the good news, and not limited to the role of "deacon" in a particular church.  He was out building churches and making disciples!  

Hope this helps Ryan,

Grace and Truth,

Christianity -- Christian Living

John Gump

I can answer questions concerning the following areas of Christianity: - True Christian Doctrine - Difficult concepts to grasp including: the Trinity, inerrancy of the Bible, salvation by grace alone, controversial sayings of Jesus throughout the NT, does the Bible contradict itself, and spiritual warfare. - What it means to be a true Christ Follower rather than just a believer. - Catholicism - Questions related to other sects that claim to be Christian but have widely varying views and beliefs that differ from Evangelical Christianity. - Young Life (high school age Christian program) I also can help recommend reading material on various issues people face in this world, whether a Christ follower or not. Why bad things happen to good people, How to walk with God, understanding scripture, Jesus in our workplaces, spiritual warfare, brokenness, testing of the spirits, etc.

I've been a Christian for 29 years. My wife and I are members of an evangelical Church and we have taught and hosted many bible studies, men/women groups. I have learned throughout my 29 years of being a Christ Follower to rely solely on the Bible for the single Truth source of Christianity. I also recognize that there is a plethora of extra-biblical (yet Bible based) resources available that help us grow in our knowledge of and intimacy with Christ that I can help guide you toward.

Bachelor of Science from Case Western Reserve University. Minor in Religious Studies with special concentration on Judaism.