Christianity -- Christian Living/what Lutherans believe about communion

Question
I have been Catholic my entire life.  Lately, I've been hearing from some of my Lutheran friends that they believe in the Real Presence of Christ when they receive communion at their services.  If so, I'm wondering what words are used by the pastor and at what point they believe the elements of bread and wine are changed.  Also, what is done with the remaining "body and blood" of Jesus when the service is over.  You know, I'm sure, that the remains of the precious blood of Christ is consumed after the Catholic Mass,  And the body of Christ is kept in the locked Tabernacle. I'd appreciate very much an answer to this question.  Thank you and God bless you in your ministry.  Nancy

Answer
Hi Nancy,

Thank you for this interesting theological question.  Roman Catholics typically believe in Transubstantiation - the teaching that the Eucharist becomes the actual literal Body and Blood of Jesus.  This belief is held in spite of clear scriptures that forbid the eating of human flesh or drinking of blood.  The Lutheran belief is a watered down view because they cannot believe that we are to eat human flesh or drink real blood.  The view is called Consubstantiation - teaching that Jesus is present when the Eucharist is celebrated but that the elements are not turned into real flesh and blood.  Therefore the leftovers are not viewed as actual blood or flesh.

Here is what we do know from scripture:

Leviticus 17:12 (AV)
12 Therefore I said unto the children of Israel, No soul of you shall eat blood, neither shall any stranger that sojourneth among you eat blood.

I hope that this helps you.

In Christ
Pastor Don

Christianity -- Christian Living

Pastor Don Carpenter