Christianity -- Christian Living/questions about forgiveness

Question
QUESTION: Can we out sin God? Are all sins forgivable? I know 1 John 1:9 says he cleanses us from ALL unrighteousness, but what about the blasphemy of the holy spirit or unforgivable sin? If someone had blasphemous thoughts or called God evil out of anger, not meaning it or actually thinking that he is evil, and asked for forgiveness, would God forgive them, or is it unforgivable?

ANSWER: Hi Amanda - thank you for your question.  My apologies for taking a while to reply, it's been a busy couple weeks leading up to the holiday weekend.  Your first question, can we out sin God, the answer is in Jesus' death and resurrection, and that answer is NO.  He died once and for all for ALL sins past present and future.  So, rest assured that if you are in Christ, you are covered by his blood and no one can snatch you out of his Father's hands.  Regarding the blaspheme of the holy spirit, this gets a little more complicated regarding whether or not it's forgivable and for whom.  You have to go back to Matthew 12 where the Pharisees believed Jesus was performing miracles in Satan's power.  Obviously He was not, but they refused to believe him or that he was the Messiah.  There was no repentance and Jesus reading their hearts knew that they wouldn't ever turn away from their evil thoughts, and they knew the Old Testament and still didn't believe!  

If you are a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ, you are SEALED forever.  You cannot commit this sin, even in your most angry moments.  This unforgivable sin is for those that reject Jesus, dismiss all evidence of his Messiahship, lead others astray, and yet feel no remorse for any of it.  If you have been mad at God and had evil thoughts at times and then you turn around and ask for forgiveness with a repentant heart, you are forgiven.  If you truly were committing the unforgivable sin, you'd never even think or feel like you've done something wrong and ask for forgiveness.  That's the difference.  

I hope this helps put your heart to rest.  Remember, that Jesus wants no one to perish, he loves everyone, but Hell is real and its reserved for those who've flat out rejected him as Lord and Savior.  

Grace & Truth,

John

QUESTION: Thanks for your response. I understand how busy life can get! So, it really means all of our sins are forgiven, even if we say/think things similar or identical to that of the pharisees of we repent and ask for forgiveness? It isn't a sin that God just chooses not to forgive?

I'm nervous because after having this intrusive blasphemous thought, I was looking online for advice and came across a website that said that 1 John 1:9 means all sins that are forgivable can be forgiven if we ask, but the unforgivable sin doesn't count, just like Jesus doesn't count in, "All have sinned and fallen short..." doesn't include Jesus. I don't think it really makes sense, but I'm terrified that I can't be forgiven.

I guess I should tell you what exactly happened. I was nearing the end of my pregnancy, was very grumpy, and felt like I couldn't sleep. I remember someone saying that pregnancy insomnia is God's way of preparing you for sleepless nights with a baby. Well, with my bad mood the thought popped into my mind, "That just must be a part of God's evil plan." I don't think he has anything to do with evil! The thought just popped into my mind, and it was very shocking to me. Then, my mind turned to the unforgivable sin, as I had been reading through Mark and had recently read that chapter.

I just feel so scared that I'm beyond forgiveness for that thought. I'm afraid that I meant it, even though I dint agree with that thought at all, and it felt like it just involuntarily popped into my mind.

Answer
Hi again Amanda - I'm sorry you're troubled by this.  Rest assured though. If you have confessed Jesus as your savior and believe in your heart that he died for ALL your sins then you are secure.  The simple fact that you having had that evil thought is bothering you says it all.  You are repentant and Jesus doesn't want you to go on torturing yourself.  I John 1:9 says ALL sins are forgiven for those who repent and ask for forgiveness.  In the case of the Pharisee's in Mark, they didn't believe in Jesus as their savior and even accused him of the power of the devil...and they weren't remorseful at all.  That's the unforgivable sin.  You didn't commit this.  Pray to Jesus asking for his peace and reassurance.  

I hope this helps.

Grace & Truth

John

Christianity -- Christian Living

John Gump