Christianity -- Christian Living/Suicide

I don't want to commit suicide. In fact I have an extreme fear of it. I think it's one of the most awful things on this Earth and it destroys people. But, what happened if I made a vow to God that I would kill myself? Does He expect me to follow through with it so as not to dishonor him by breaking a vow I made to him?

Hi Kristen,

That vow was not with God.  He would never agree to such a vow especially when it is His will for you to prosper even as your soul prosper (3 John 1:2). He has declared that He has “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future” (Jeremiah 29:11).  God is the creator of all things.  He alone has set the end time us.  He is sovereign and He is not interested in sharing his throne with you or anyone else.  But, satan is the one who comes to, “steal, kill, and destroy” John 10:10.  Let me repeat, God will never step down for a day, an hour, or a second so that you can become sovereign and decide what day and time is the end.  Kristen, I believe that it would be great for you to spend more time learning more about who God is so that you can distinguish, without certainty, His voice; so that you will be able to know His character of being a Father of love, compassion, forgiveness, patience, faithfulness, trustworthy—prosperity and not of destruction.  As you spend time in His presence, speaking to Him, listening for His voice, studying His word, and feeding yourself with music and messages that edify Him , you will grow and fall more in love with Him so that you will, again know that it is NOT His will for you to harm or hurt yourself.  If anything, He wants you to experience heaven on earth so that you can give Him praise and honor.   God will only direct you to do what is “good” because He is good and He declared that what He has made is good, “Then God looked over all he had made, and he saw that it was very good!” (Genesis 1:31).  Kristen, YOU ARE GOOD!!!  From now on, when you hear a voice telling you to do something, ask yourself, is this a good thing?  Again, God loves you too much to expect you to harm yourself or end your life.  Especially, when He has commanded us not to kill, “thou shall not kill” (Exodus 20:13).  

Suicide is a desperate act and a traumatic event for family and friends.  And it is never the answer or a justified vow.  In fact, God commanded us to, ”Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;  and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7

In closing, there is always a light at the end of every tunnel; you just have to find it.  And, just as the rain falls, the sun always shines again.  It is the will of God for you to have and experience love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control  ~  Galatians 5:22-23

Feel free to write anytime.  Take care  

Christianity -- Christian Living

Brenda Douglas

I have a passion for serving as a personal coach and answering questions that will help people live a victorious Christian lifestyle without compromising God's high standards. My desire is to also help people explore vision, overcome obstacles, conquer fears, pursue health & wellness, embrace the truth, dream big and nurture the seed of greatness within them.

I facilitate workshops, speak on the topics, conduct seminars and training on subjects promote spiritual and personal growth.

Founder of Royalty, Inc.

As a result of my personal experience, I coach people on topics such as life planning, life vision & enhancement, extreme self care, spirituality, relationships (Singles, Couples, and Families), Health & Fitness, Creativity, financial freedom, organization, and motivation through my website and the Elegance Newsletter.