Christianity -- Christian Living/Adulterers

Hi Dr. Swaby,

My friend and I were have quite the heated debate about a topic and I wanted to get a 2nd opinion. I was in a long, abusive marriage to an unbeliever and finally gathered up the courage to leave. I unfortunately committed adultery before the divorce was finalized (once before I even moved out of the home). I had fallen and I am so ashamed for what I did and have truly repented in my heart. I have decided to remain sexually inactive until marriage, if it's in God's will that I get married again. The man I committed adultery with has over time come back to God and also has repented for his sins of adultery and made the same decision.

Here is the issue. My marriage is over, my ex-husband has moved on. Is there anything in the Bible that states that myself and the man I committed adultery with couldn't get married someday? My friend says yes and cites Matthew 19. I don't believe that is what Matthew 19 is saying. And also if we both truly repented, then our sins of adultery are washed clean, right? I feel so horrible for what I did and I know it was wrong, I have been lectured enough on what an awful sin I committed but I feel that God would of forgiven me, right? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Susan,

No, There is nothing in the bible stating that you two could not marry. You both have done what the bibles teaches, You repented,stopped the sinful behavior and are on the right track as you both seek to obey God! Please read Ephesians 4:22-32.

I am so sorry that you are being lectured about your sin God forgave and others should do.   God forgave you as soon as you asked Him too. God's forgiveness is complete and final.  Psalm 103:12
Then read 1 John Chapter 1: 8-10 and Chapter 2:1-2

This is from the NKJV ( New King James Version Bible)

You can go on line and read it if you do not have that particular bible.  
These scriptures will address God's forgiveness.

God has forgiven you and your friend, now you guys have forgive yourselves.

God Bless you both
Dr. Swaby

Christianity -- Christian Living

Dr.M. Swaby

I am able answer to questions on salvation, marriage and family, forgiveness and divorce as well as other biblical and life related question. I am a Licensed Clinical Pastoral Counselor, I am able to research and answer questions according to the Word of God.(Bible) I enjoy guiding others to explore what the Word of God says about living our lives according to His Word. The Word of God answers all of lifes questions, which if followed will give us a life that will weather the storms, at which time we will find that we are still standing even in the mist of the storm. Remember, the Word of God promised us "That he will never leave us or forsake us" May God Bless and keep you in his perfect care.

I am a licensed Clinical Pastoral Counselor, I have done marriage Counseling Pre-Marriage Counseling, Biblical Counseling, and Counseling with teens. I love sharing information that will assist one with their walk. Even when we make a mistake it is important not to give up, but to repent ask forgiveness and get back on track. I enjoy encouraging and praying with my fellow Christians.

Member of National Christian Counseling Association

The National Christian Counseling Licensed Clinical Pastoral Counselor Certified Temperment Counselor