Christianity -- Christian Living/Forbidden Woman?

Question

I committed adultery and feel incredibly guilty over it and have asked God forgiveness and truly repented of it. I came across a Bible verse i Proverbs however that said that the adulteress is the forbidden woman. Does this mean I can't have a relationship with anyone? Does that mean I am forbidden in one form or another? I feel so bad about what I did :(. My marriage is long over for other reasons (abuse mainly) but I just can't shake this guilt. Any insight would be very helpful.

Answer
Dear Susan

Thank you for your question.

The wonderful promise we have when being a follower of Jesus is that we have the forgiveness of sins when we repent (turn back to God).  You have clearly repented, and therefore, as long as you are no longer having affairs with people, you have been forgiven and are not considered to be an adulteress any more.

What I suspect that passage (Proverbs 7) means is that we are to remain faithful and not be tempted.  This passage was actually written to a man (it starts with "my son") meaning that the man is not to be tempted by prostitutes or unfaithful women.  In the culture this was written in, this would also include people of other faiths and religions, who could lead them astray.

I think this is quite different from your situation.  Instead, you might like to read this passage: John 8:3-11

"The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery, and placing her in the midst they said to him, “Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery. Now in the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. So what do you say?” This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, “Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.” And once more he bent down and wrote on the ground. But when they heard it, they went away one by one, beginning with the older ones, and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him.  Jesus stood up and said to her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?”  She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said, “Neither do I condemn you; go, and from now on sin no more.”"

God bless you Susan.

Christianity -- Christian Living

Cudmonk