Christianity -- Christian Living/God with me?

Question
I was raised catholic then at 19 I joined a strict church. It was not a good experience, no unity, lying, back stabbing, my second church was worse.

The experience at my second church caused me to become a very strong atheist.

But then I met my best friend. During the time when I first met her, I started seeking God again. I asked if I could date/marry her. I then started seeing things saying to pray, and I'd often run into individuals who said pray, be patient, and have faith.

I asked God during this time to reveal himself to me. He did indeed do this. God also started nudging me to return to Him and pray. So I've been praying for myself and friends salvation.

My question is simple, has God spoken to me and why is the young lady involved.

Answer
Hello, Raul.

I'm sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

It is certainly possible that God spoke to you in a certain way, but the Scripture is clear that God no longer speaks to individuals in an audible tone, or through other supernatural ways (angel visitations, visions, dreams, etc.).

The Bible is the entire Word of God. In it, we have God's revelation to man. If God were to speak in an audible tone, then that would be an addition to the Bible.

Revelation 22:18-19: For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this Book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this Book:

And if any man shall take away from the words of the Book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the Book of Life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this Book.

In other words, God is saying in these two verses that we are not to add or take away from God's Word. It is complete. And God Himself is under this same Law: in Psalm 138:2, God insists that the Word of God is above even His own Name.

Now God can speak to a person in a figurative sense, of course. He can move a person to read His Word. He can move a person to witness to a loved one, or to minister to those in need, etc.

Remember Romans 8:28: And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to (His) purpose.

This verse in Romans is technically speaking of God's eternal people, those whom God elected to salvation (Ephesians 1). However, the Bible also shows that God, of course, can work in any individual, saved or not. In fact, God draws any and all persons whom He wishes to save to Him. These persons, before being drawn, are unsaved, and yet God works in them to will and to do of His good pleasure, which ultimately is to have mercy.

If God is drawing you to salvation, then He indeed has "spoken" to you. And ultimately all good things come from God (Matthew 5:45, etc.). So you can thank Him that He has at least given you some sort of desire to pray for yourself and your friend---many people stubbornly want nothing to do with God. God has hardened these people, but He can also free them from bondage to sin by opening their eyes and having mercy.

I cannot know why the young lady is involved. Ultimately, she is there because God has allowed it (nothing happens unless God allows it), but whether God has a specific work for her to do is unknown. If He does, then rest assured that God will be working in her to will and to do of His good pleasure. Things don't just happen by accident with God in charge.

I hope this helps. If you have further questions, please ask.

May God bless you,
John

I Samuel 25:23-31:

And when Abigail saw David, she hasted, and lighted off the ass, and fell before David on her face, and bowed herself to the ground,

And fell at his feet, and said, Upon me, my lord, upon me let this iniquity be: and let thine handmaid, I pray thee, speak in thine audience, and hear the words of thine handmaid.

Let not my lord, I pray thee, regard this man of Belial, even Nabal: for as his name is, so is he; Nabal is his name, and folly is with him: but I thine handmaid saw not the young men of my lord, whom thou didst send.

Now therefore, my lord, as the LORD liveth, and as thy soul liveth, seeing the LORD hath withholden thee from coming to shed blood, and from avenging thyself with thine own hand, now let thine enemies, and they that seek evil to my lord, be as Nabal.

And now this blessing which thine handmaid hath brought unto my lord, let it even be given unto the young men that follow my lord.

I pray thee, forgive the trespass of thine handmaid: for the LORD will certainly make my lord a sure house; because my lord fighteth the battles of the LORD, and evil hath not been found in thee all thy days.

Yet a man is risen to pursue thee, and to seek thy soul: but the soul of my lord shall be bound in the bundle of life with the LORD thy God; and the souls of thine enemies, them shall he sling out, as out of the middle of a sling.

And it shall come to pass, when the LORD shall have done to my lord according to all the good that he hath spoken concerning thee, and shall have appointed thee ruler over Israel;

That this shall be no grief unto thee, nor offence of heart unto my lord, either that thou hast shed blood causeless, or that my lord hath avenged himself: but when the LORD shall have dealt well with my lord, then remember thine handmaid.  

Christianity -- Christian Living

John Zalewski