Christianity -- Christian Living/Did God talk

Question
Sir, how do I know if God has spoken to me.

Months ago when I was a deist I fell into a situation that got me seeking God over it, he told me pray, have patience and faith.

Later he told me that I need to return to church, the situation also prompted me to pray for another's salvation, yet I've been told I never heard from God

Answer
Hi Raul,

That’s a great question. God will speak to us many times through the day, if we will position ourselves to hear from Him and be obedient to what He tells us. One Scripture that helps me a lot with how God speaks to us is in Romans:

Romans 8:16
The Spirit himself testifies with OUR SPIRIT that we are God’s children

The word “testify” means to “witness with”. It’s like when someone agrees with you about a subject. They have witnessed with what you are saying. The Holy Spirit does that with our spirit.

We could ask this question: When the Holy Spirit wants to let me know that I am a Christian, how does He let me know? Answer: by confirming that in my spirit.

In today’s world, it is very foreign to talk about spirits, but that’s who we are. When this body that we live in, dies, we don’t stop living. Our spirit, the real us, leaves this Earth. The problem with people being so aware of their bodies, is that when the Holy Spirit speaks to them, they are looking to their minds for something, or trying to feel something, but that is where we miss God. He is speaking to our spirit.

What is that like? The best way I can describe when God speaks to us, is that there is a “knowing” when He speaks. The moment He speaks, there is a sense that something is the right thing to do. We can do one of two things with that: we can recognize that the Holy Spirit is speaking to us (which takes some practice), and immediately act on it, or we can let our mind and emotions get in the way, and convince ourselves to do something different.

The Holy Spirit also speaks through the Bible. Whenever we sense something that is contradictory to the Bible, we can be sure that we are not hearing from Him. The Holy Spirit will never contradict Himself!

2 Timothy 3:16

16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Ask the Holy Spirit to help you to recognize when He is speaking to you, remember that the Bible will help to confirm when He is speaking to you, and you will begin to recognize when the Holy Spirit speaks to you, in much greater ways!

Christianity -- Christian Living

Daryl