Christianity -- Christian Living/Scrupulosity

Hello John,
I have some questions about Christianity, while being someone who struggles with Scrupulosity. If you are familiar with this type of OCD, please try to answer my questions. I was raised in an Evangelical Christian church and was very involved in youth group, church camps and purity culture. For me, Christianity is guilt, sins and constantly asking forgiveness. I don't like "the freedom" in Christ, that is not freedom at all. My questions deal with "once saved, always saved" and forgiveness.

If I knowingly sin, then die, am I going to Hell? If I am not trying to be a "good Christian" and I die, am I going to Hell? Am I still saved if I'm not 'trying' to be a "good Christian"? Is swearing a sin? Are bad thoughts a sin? Is being moody and not patient and not LOVING, a sin? What are the sins? Just the 10 commandments, even though thats the old testament? What are the RULES?
I don't want to go to Hell.  I'm working on the OCD end of my issues with a therapist, but what about the Christian end?
Thank you for your time,

Hi Kylie - thank you for your question.  I'm sorry you're struggling with scrupulosity, certainly a condition that can be challenging to overcome, but, rest assured, with Jesus, all things are possible (Phil 4:13)

I'll try to answer your questions best I can without writing a book back to you.

Once Saved, always saved.  If you genuinely accepted Jesus as your savior then no one can snatch you out of the Father's hands.  Once and done.  No worries.  John 10:28-30

On your other questions, remember that being a Christian does not equal perfection.  We'll never be perfect this side of heaven.  That's why Jesus died on the cross for us as a perfect sacrifice.  Through Him we have the assurance of being with Him in heaven forever.   You will sin as a Christian, it's not possible not to.    

The other questions you raise around what is and what isn't a sin really come down to the definition of sin.  Sin is thoughts and/or actions apart from the will of God.  If you lust after someone in your mind but don't follow through on the lustful act at the physical level, it's still a sin.  

Sins are not limited to the 10 commandments, although they really do cover most.  In the end, the RULES as you ask, are this:  Love God with all your heart mind and body and love your neighbor as yourself. And even in quoting this familiar verse from Matthew, we'll never do it perfectly here on Earth, and Jesus knows this and loves us still.  The blessed assurance is that Jesus died and was resurrected for our past, present and future sins.  We are fully covered by His blood.  Try to put your mind at ease, that Jesus has EVERYTHING under complete control, loves you immeasurably even in your sin, and wants nothing more than for you to rest in Him and let Him lead you through His Holy Spirit.  Christianity is about relationship with Jesus, not a set of rules (religion).  The closer you draw to Jesus the less you will sin, and the more at peace you will become.  

I hope this helps some.

Grace & Truth

Christianity -- Christian Living

John Gump

I can answer questions concerning the following areas of Christianity: - True Christian Doctrine - Difficult concepts to grasp including: the Trinity, inerrancy of the Bible, salvation by grace alone, controversial sayings of Jesus throughout the NT, does the Bible contradict itself, and spiritual warfare. - What it means to be a true Christ Follower rather than just a believer. - Catholicism - Questions related to other sects that claim to be Christian but have widely varying views and beliefs that differ from Evangelical Christianity. - Young Life (high school age Christian program) I also can help recommend reading material on various issues people face in this world, whether a Christ follower or not. Why bad things happen to good people, How to walk with God, understanding scripture, Jesus in our workplaces, spiritual warfare, brokenness, testing of the spirits, etc.

I've been a Christian for 29 years. My wife and I are members of an evangelical Church and we have taught and hosted many bible studies, men/women groups. I have learned throughout my 29 years of being a Christ Follower to rely solely on the Bible for the single Truth source of Christianity. I also recognize that there is a plethora of extra-biblical (yet Bible based) resources available that help us grow in our knowledge of and intimacy with Christ that I can help guide you toward.

Bachelor of Science from Case Western Reserve University. Minor in Religious Studies with special concentration on Judaism.