Christianity -- Christian Living/Unemployment and Dating

Question
Dear Marsha I.,

I am a single man who strongly believes in the assembling of the saints (Hebrews 10:25); therefore, I attend Church services on a weekly basis. I enjoy attending Church service for the most part. However, things in the employment market have been sour for me for a number of years now. I got to the point where I feel I am near unemployable, and that either God has no desire to help me, as far as, work opportunities go, or the devil's opposition to my getting a welcome mat to the world of employment is to discard that mat altogether. Anyway, when I go to Church there are a number of women that tend to congregate around me, and I'm tired of explaining that I am not employed. They have absolutely NO HELP for me. It's all about the money. If it were not for the fact that God wants His people to congregate I would probably slow down on Church attendance (The unemployment thing can be VERY depressing at times. What burns me up more than anything is, Why did not God place His people more so in the positions of CEOs and managerial levels of employment? Financial success in the world today? It reminds me of Revelation 3:14-22 & Revelation 13:11-18.

Anyway, I'm wondering if I gathered sufficient funds on a weekly basis, maybe, it would be better to visit other Churches, and rotate my home congregation attendance every so often. Why? This way no women become to attracted to being around me so I don't wind up giving them any disappointing news. So, Marsha I, What do you think about this idea (Please bear in mind this economy stinks so much that my own Pastor can't even find his own son employment)? I will await your reply. Thank you.

William

Answer
William,
Thanks for writing. I can see how frustrated you are with your situation.  It is indeed frustrating times we live in!

I don't know how long you have been a member at your church, but I wonder if rotating around to different churches will eventually lead you to the temptation to not attend at all. The reason I say that is because it will create a lack of accountability as people get used to not seeing you every week.  

I'm just guessing, but are you attending a singles Sunday School class?  If so, the single gals there are looking for potential guys to date.  If this is the case, try removing yourself from that class and go join another one where singles do not congregate.  

When my husband and I were childless, we found attending the young married's class painful because their focus was babies and the 35 to 50's aged class was focused on parenting older kids. So we joined the Senior Citizen Sunday School class.  They loved having younger people take an interest in them and I volunteered to help out with some of their outings.  Their wealth of wisdom was wonderful.

Joining the older folks in their class (if your church has one) will remove you from the awkwardness of the singles class, give you the opportunity to learn from the wisdom of the older folks and perhaps helping some of them in physical ways will give you a chance to focus on someone else and get your mind off your troubles.

On a spiritual level,  perspective is so important.  Your story sounds so much like Solomon's observations of life under the sun (earthly perspective) in Ecclesiastes.  Life from the perspective under the sun is futile and full of vanity and frustration. But life under heaven (heavenly perspective) everything has an appointed time. (Ecclesiastes 3)

We get caught looking at how unfair life is (under the sun perspective) and forget that God is in control and He has appointed a time for everything (under heaven perspective).  There are lessons to be learned in all our circumstances of life.  God uses the circumstances of our lives to teach us and sanctify us.  Use these lean times to develop your relationship with God and grow spiritually.  

Yes, the wicked seem to flourish while the righteous are often in difficult straights (I'm looking at about $10,000 out of pocket in medical bills currently) but remember the wicked get all the reward they will ever get here. The righteous (righteous because of Christ's righteousness alone) will get their reward in heaven for all eternity and it will not rust or fade.  You have a bright future ahead of you...the best is yet to come!

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. In love He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved. In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace which He lavished on us. In all wisdom and insight He made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His kind intention which He purposed in Him with a view to an administration suitable to the fullness of the times, that is, the summing up of all things in Christ, things in the heavens and things on the earth. In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel of His will, to the end that we who were the first to hope in Christ would be to the praise of His glory. (‭Ephesians‬ ‭1‬:‭3-12‬ NASB)

I hope that I have been helpful in some small way to you!  By the way, I don't know what kind if work you want but I know that Schweitzer is always expanding and hiring.
I hear nothing but good about working there.
https://www.selinc.com/careers/

Marsha

Christianity -- Christian Living

Marsha I.