Christianity -- Christian Living/Bible

I have a couple of questions in regards to the backslider. I believe that the backslider is someone who believes in God but for some reason has gone back to habits/living the way they use to live before being saved. The backslider still believes in God however. Is this accurate? Can you please elaborate a bit for me?. The bible speaks of the wicked. I defined the wicked in my Strongs Concordance Dictionary and it stated that "Wicked" is a legal term. What exactly does a legal term mean?  Strongs states that the wicked is a term for a wrongdoer. Is a backslider considered a Wicked person? To say that someone is wicked does it mean that they are just bad people without any good within?

Thanks for adding clarity,

Thank you for writing. According to Proverbs 14:14 A backslider in heart will be filled with his own ways.(NKJV)

You are correct a backslider is one who has a relationship with God (Salvation) But, then goes back to living in the world. No, the backslider is not considered "wicked" All one has to do is repent, (Turn away from their sin) Then their relationship with God is restored.

It does mention Wickedness in Jeremiah 2:19
Your own wickedness will correct you,And your backsliding will rebuke you.
Jeremiah 2:19 (NJKV)
This addresses "A wayward Christian" The fact that many people want one foot in the world and one foot in  the Kingdom of God, and it is like straddling the fence. You are not happy either way. Declare yourself for Christ

I hope this is helpful to you, feel free to write again if you need further clarity

Dr. Swaby

QUESTION: Thank you so much Dr. Swaby for your help. I'm not quite clear about the response however. My understanding is a person can not loose their salvation. Is this correct? One is born into the family of God at the point of salvation. One can not be "unborn" due to being a backslider. Am I on the correct "track"? So are you saying that when one is in a back slidden state that their fellowship with God has been broken, however they remain saved by faith?If so how?. Jeremiah mentions your own wickedness will rebuke you..ok so if the back slider is not considered "wicked" what exactly does your own wickedness will rebuke you mean? What is the meaning of wickness in the passage(Jer2:19)?

Hi Tee,
Let me see if I can explain this a little better. You are correct a person cannot lose their salvation. True, You can not become unsaved.  

The person has not stopped having faith when they "backslide  they just returned or began to do things that are not pleasing to God. Things that they know is not pleasing to God.

We all are  still sinners( Saved by grace) and when we do wrong then "repent" stop doing (wrong) and ask God to forgive us,we are back on track.(Forgiven) Wickedness just  means doing the wrong thing tee.

"A Rebuke" means you have done something wrong and you should stop now!.
Jeremiah is saying "Your wickedness will let you know you are doing wrong"

Think about when you know Satan is trying to trouble you can say "Satan I rebuke you in the name of Jesus and he has to  stop now!   Tee, When someone is saved and they break fellowship with God, all they have to do is admit their sin and ask God to forgive them, they are back in fellowship with our Heavenly Father.

Does this explain things better?
Dr Swaby

Christianity -- Christian Living

Dr.M. Swaby

I am able answer to questions on salvation, marriage and family, forgiveness and divorce as well as other biblical and life related question. I am a Licensed Clinical Pastoral Counselor, I am able to research and answer questions according to the Word of God.(Bible) I enjoy guiding others to explore what the Word of God says about living our lives according to His Word. The Word of God answers all of lifes questions, which if followed will give us a life that will weather the storms, at which time we will find that we are still standing even in the mist of the storm. Remember, the Word of God promised us "That he will never leave us or forsake us" May God Bless and keep you in his perfect care.

I am a licensed Clinical Pastoral Counselor, I have done marriage Counseling Pre-Marriage Counseling, Biblical Counseling, and Counseling with teens. I love sharing information that will assist one with their walk. Even when we make a mistake it is important not to give up, but to repent ask forgiveness and get back on track. I enjoy encouraging and praying with my fellow Christians.

Member of National Christian Counseling Association

The National Christian Counseling Licensed Clinical Pastoral Counselor Certified Temperment Counselor