Christianity -- Christian Living/Sodoma and Gomorra destruction

Question
Hi, I don't understand why God destroyed Sodoma and Gomorra if bible always talks about forgiveness. Why God didn't forgive Sodoma and Gomorra sins.

Thanks a lot

Answer
Dear Christian,

The doctrine of forgiveness is based on one's acknowledgment of sin, confession of sin and repentance of sin. Sin is defined as;

“Everyone doing sin also does lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness.”
‭‭I John‬ ‭3:4‬ ‭ISR98‬‬

Lawlessness is defined as;
G458   (Strong)
ἀνομία anomia an-om-ee'-ah
From G459; illegality, that is, violation of law or (generally) wickedness: - iniquity, X transgress (-ion of) the law, unrighteousness.

The people of Sodom are described thusly;

“But the men of Seḏom were evil and sinned before יהוה, exceedingly so.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭13:13‬ ‭ISR98‬‬

Their attitude towards righteousness was;

“Before they lay down, the men of the city, the men of Seḏom, both old and young, all the people from every part, surrounded the house. And they called to Lot and said to him, “Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us, and let us ‘know’ them.” So Lot went out to them through the doorway, and shut the door behind him, and said, “Please, my brothers, do not do evil! “Look, please, I have two daughters who have not known a man. Please, let me bring them out to you, and do to them as you wish, only do no deed to these men, because they have come under the shadow of my roof.” But they said, “Stand back!” And they said, “This one came in to sojourn, and should he always judge? Now we are going to treat you worse than them.” So they pressed hard against the man Lot, and came near to break down the door.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭19:4-9‬ ‭ISR98‬‬

The word "know" in verse 5 is in reference to "have sex with." This is a grievous sin that will prohibit entrance into YHWH'S kingdom. Consider;
““See, this was the crookedness of your sister Seḏom: She and her daughter had pride, sufficiency of bread, and unconcerned ease. And she did not help the poor and needy. “And they were haughty and did abomination before Me, and I took them away when I saw it.”
‭‭Ezekiel‬ ‭16:49-50‬ ‭ISR98
“Therefore Elohim gave them up to uncleanness in the lust of their hearts, to disrespect their bodies among themselves, who changed the truth of Elohim into the falsehood, and worshipped and served what was created rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amĕn. Because of this Elohim gave them over to degrading passions. For even their women exchanged natural relations for what is against nature, and likewise, the men also, having left natural relations with woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing indecency, and receiving back the reward which was due for their straying. And even as they did not think it worth- while to possess the knowledge of Elohim, Elohim gave them over to a worthless mind, to do what is improper, having been filled with all unrighteousness, whoring, wickedness, greed, evil; filled with envy, murder, fighting, deceit, evil habits; whisperers, slanderers, haters of Elohim, insolent, proud, boasters, devisers of evils, disobedient to parents, without discernment, covenant breakers, unloving, unforgiving, ruthless; who, though they know the righteousness of Elohim, that those who practise such deserve death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practise them.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭1:24-32‬ ‭ISR98‬‬
http://bible.com/316/rom.1.24-32.isr98

So, you see, YHWH had extended ample room for the inhabitants of Sodom to come to the Truth and begin walking with HIM in such a way that they could have walked in blessing from HIM, rather than rejection...

Sincerely,
Pastor Ron  

Christianity -- Christian Living

Pastor Ron