Christianity -- Christian Living/Contradicting views concerning Earth and Heavens - what to believe?

Question
Hello.

There is a main contradiction between OT and NT view concerning the world.

The first is mainly focused on the life here. The second somehow abandons this world and considers that flesh fights and tortures spirit.

In the OT man is created to eat fruits and have sex to be multiplied. All blessings of people in the OT are land, gold, cattle, kingship etc

In the NT we read that no flesh and blood can inherit the Kingdom of God. The Kingdom is inside us and this world belongs to Satan.

Many christians believe that God changed his mind and that people will be resurrected with bodies(!) that have no physical needs.

The contradictions become more more inside NT and OT.

An example in the NT
The messianism of OT is not abandoned in the NT. The humble will inherit the Earth, Christ will return to rule this world, even though before he said he's not part of the world and people should abandon things that perish by worms, looking forward to have riches in the "heavens".

An example in the OT
In the OT God creates man to work in the garden but then he punishes him to eat food through labor. These are 2 different views. If man was punished to work, then this is in accordance with the other traditions, that teach before this Earth was providing everything and man didnt need to plow and crop the land.
If man was working from the beginning, then this is labor.

So we have 2 different views. OT and NT people who dont abandon OT beliefs, keep waiting a Messiah who will kill the bad rich and bring many riches to the poor. Some of them, like Jehovah's Witnesses, try to mix things, teaching that some go to heaven, some remain on Earth.

NT people who think the pleasures and possessions of this world are evil, abandon OT, saying God changed his mind and all saved will be in the heavens with no needs. There is no kingdom to be established here, because the kingdom is spiritual. The world of matter is mortal, its not going to be immortal, dont wait anything. They are close to Platonism and Buddhism. Some of them are gnostics who say the Creator in the OT is an evil god and enemy of spirit.

I've got other questions too. But let's keep it simple.

So from all these contradicting views, what Im supposed to believe as true and how do I know it's true, since we try to guess God's thoughts and view of fleshy and spiritual world?

Thanks.

Answer
Hello, Sunny.

I am sorry for taking so long to respond.

We need to keep in mind that the Bible, while a true, historical document, is also meant to be understood spiritually. Also, God speaks of humans while on this earth, and so of course they need physical food and water to survive. It is also not surprising that there are physical blessings associated with the land.

In the historical situation, having livestock was certainly an indicator of wealth. Individuals such as Abraham had a large amount of animals, silver, and gold (Genesis 13:2). Abraham used the animals to help make a living for himself (selling the animals, etc.). This is all well and good. As long as Abraham was in the world, he still needed to survive.

I Corinthians 15:50: Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

What this verse is saying is that in our unregenerated state, we cannot enter the Kingdom of God. We must become saved. I Corinthians 15 (and many other parts of the Bible) talks about this transition. I Corinthians 15 talks about the changing of our fleshly, dead (separated from God) bodies into eternal bodies. We are given spiritual bodies (15:42-44). This will occur on the last day, when the graves are opened.

While we are in this world, we of course have to focus on our physical needs to some degree. We all need to eat, sleep, make money, have a roof over our heads, etc. However, that should not be the ultimate focus for the Christian.

Matthew 6:19-21: Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

But lay up for yourselves treasures in Heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

We have to live in this world, just as Abraham, Job, and David did, but our ultimate focus should be on God, and living righteously before Him. The things of this world will fade away, including our own bodies, but our relationship with Christ will never fade away. That is eternal, for good or bad, so that is why it should be a huge priority for everyone.

As far as labor goes, the Bible plainly teaches that Adam worked in the Garden of Eden before the curse of God for sin came upon him.

Genesis 2:15: And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the Garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.

Work in of itself is not a bad thing.

Finally, concerning the Kingdom of God on Earth, there won't be a physical kingdom set up by Christ. Many believe in a "1000-year reign" of Christ on this Earth, in Jerusalem. The problem is that such individuals do not read the Bible carefully, nor do they recognize that the Bible is a spiritual Book.

The explanation of the 1000-year reign is lengthy, so I'm not going to go into it here. Besides, I'd have to refresh my memory concerning it.

However, keep in mind that in various places in the Gospel Christ dissuaded His followers from trying to make a physical kingdom on earth (John 6:15, 18:36, etc.). Christ's disciples did not understand (at least initially) that Christ's Kingdom was a spiritual Kingdom. They thought that He was simply a physical savior, who would free the Jews from Roman rule (at the time, the Jewish nation was under the jurisdiction of the Roman government).

Christ's mission was far greater than that. He was to be the Savior. He came to save His people from their sins, and this is what He accomplished.

I hope this helps. Once again, I am sorry for taking so long to respond.

May God bless you,
John

Psalm 150:1: Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in His sanctuary: praise Him in the firmament of His power.

Christianity -- Christian Living

John Zalewski