Christianity -- Christian Living/Can I take communion at home like the disciples did?

I grew up in a church where communion was something you only did at "church" (unless you were dying!) but what can you tell me about what the Bible says about being able to take communion at home with my family.

Does the Bible say this is possible?

Hi John,
Thanks for the question..I'll be glad to help you with this. My answer to your question, "Can I take communion at home like the disciples did?" is YES! I will give you the scriptures that support my answer. I am familiar with the practices that surround the modern day observance of the Lord's Supper...taking communion during special times of the year, taking communion to signify the beginning of certain seasons & celebrations...and the administering of communion just before one passes from this world. I'd like to start by telling you a few inportant things concerning communion..the Lord's Supper..the meal that heals.

Communion brings healing to your body..wholeness to your life. Communion brings you closer to the Lord as it is to be a proclamation of what Jesus did for you..your mind and heart become saturated with the truth of who Jesus is and all that His blood purchased for you. We pay tribute and honor to Jesus when we remember Him via administering communion to one another..our family, our friends, our brothers and sisters in the Lord.

Quite often I have wondered (other Christian's have as well) why the modern Church doesn't seem to have all that which the early Church had..the power of God on their lives, the stick-to-it-ness or longevity when it comes to serving the Lord. I mean, we pray, we fast, we worship, we read the Bible..and yet, something seems to be missing. The answer? Daily communion. The New Testament believers (who were the Body of we are today) met in one anothers home daily and did what Paul (in 1 Cor. 11:26)   instructed them to do: "For every time you eat this bread and drink this cup, you are announcing the Lord's death until he comes again.

While it is common practice to take communion in a church (like you mentioned having done) we know that the Church is really the Body of Christ Jesus...the New Testament believers gathered daily..ate together daily..observed the Lord's Supper daily. Keeping Jesus (and everything Jesus did) in the forefront of their lives made them strong as a family..communion, prayer, worship & the teaching of Jesus' words became the glue that held the early Church together...and it is no different for us today.

In 1 Corinthians the 11th chapter Paul is addressing the Corinthian church concerning the taking of the Lord's supper..communion. In verse 23b to verse 25 we read: On the night when he was betrayed, the Lord Jesus took a loaf of bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body, which is given* for you. Do this in remembrance of me." In the same way, he took the cup of wine after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant between God and you, sealed by the shedding of my blood. Do this in remembrance of me as often as you drink it."

Scripture clearly shows that daily communion was a common practice in the early church. In Acts 2:42 we read that the early believers were devoting “themselves to the apostles' teaching and fellowship, to the breaking of bread and prayers...this is communion John. This is seen even more clearly in Acts 20:7 as Luke writes, “On the first day of the week when we were gathered together to break bread …” In this verse Luke lists communion as their purpose for gathering on the first day of the week.

As we read all of these scriptues and a good many others we know the following about the New Testament believers:

1.) The believers ate together daily

2.) The believers shared what they had

3.) The believers served one another and the community

4.) The believers stuck together as a family

5.) The believers made up the Body of Jesus Christ

6.) The believers supported & loved one another

7.) The believers came together expressly to partake of the Lord's Supper

8.) The believers had great joy & the power of God on their lives.

9.) The believers worked & worshipped together.

10.) The believers did mighty things in the name of the    Lord Jesus.

As we read the given scriptures we know this about Jesus:

1.) He gave His body for us..Jesus was made the ultimate sin offering fo us all..nobody up until Jesus could have done that for us..all sinned and came short of the glory of God..all but Jesus.

2.) He shed His precious blood..thus sealing the new covenant (A binding agreement, a compact, a law) between us and the Father. Jesus became that blood soaked bridge that we could walk across to get to Almighty God..that bridge that would forever close the gap (caused by sin) between the Creator & His creation.

3.) Jesus wanted to be remembered..Jesus wanted us to remember all that He had done for us, had purchased for us, Jesus wanted us to be constantly reminded (via communion) of all that was now made complete in us..all because of Jesus.

4.) Jesus wanted the eating of His body & the Drinking of His blood to be a daily/often/regularly occurring observence in our the lives of the early Church & in the lives of the modern day Body of Christ.

John, I hope that I have been able to help you in some way. I will say one last thing concerning communion:
God's word & the issues that the Bible deals with, the life of Jesus and the lives of those we read about in the Bible can serve as a guide book if we'll allow it to. These truths and the ones who spoke them and/or displayed them are to be to us as examples..meaning, if we want what the early Church had (power, great joy, tremendous faith, longevity, faifulness to the Lord and one another as unto death...) we MUST do what the early Church did..daily communion would be a great way for you to start.

By the way, my husband and I take communion nearly every day..which requires that we pull away from what we are doing (and who we are doing it with) so as to have personal time with the Lord.

God Bless you John...hope to hear from you again.

In Him,

Christianity -- Christian Living

Jody D. Sullivan

I am both a Christian and a minister. My husband and I have done quite a bit of work with troubled youth and dysfunctional families. I will try to accurately answer any and all questions. I love helping people come to a resolute conclusion.

My name is Jody Sullivan and I am both a Christian and a minister. My husband and I have done quite a bit of work with troubled youth and dysfunctional families. It seems that I have spent my life (I am 41 years old) answering questions that are related to Christianity in some form or another..I enjoy it and deem it a privilege. I have had quite a bit of experience in Christian counseling throughout the years. Many people have questions and I have found that the individual who is equipped with the correct answer will often make better life choices.

Some of my writings (including letters and reports) have been presented on several non-denominational Christian television stations. Both my husband and I are highly interested in writing books and/or self-help guides.

High School, Technical School, Bible College, Specialized Biblical Training, The School Of Life...