Christianity--Church History/History of sunday night church services.

Lilly Miller wrote at 2009-10-12 01:44:28
As a Baptist, I was taught that the original anabaptists would have church from morning to sundown with a break for lunch.  As time went by, the lunch breaks would get longer and longer until it came to a point that it was two entirely separate services.

Den wrote at 2010-09-26 14:13:21
Evening Service was designed for those who had work in the morning on Sunday. They would have a separate service for those that couldn't make it, and depending on the denomination this is where they would have communion. People started coming to both to either get more out of Church or to look like they want to.

jmikew wrote at 2014-01-19 16:20:06
Years ago Moody Monthy magazine (Nov 1989, Vol 90, Num.3) had an article on church traditions.  "Shedding Light on the Sunday Evening Service," in 1792 the newly invented coal gas lights began to pull people out of their homes during the early evening hours.  At the turn of the century, Scottish engineer William Murdock, who is credited with the first development of coal-gas illumination, was commissioned to install gas lighting in London. From then unto about 1820, when gas lighting was installed in Pall Mall, the lights illumined London's factories, stores, and other public places.  Coal-gas lights were still too expensive for most homes.  Quick to see the possibilities, some ministers began installing the lights in churches.  And behold, there was born the Sunday Evening Service.  

Christianity--Church History

Christopher Heren