Christianity--Church History/Discipleship

QUESTION: I am looking for the author and book that started the recent (1970s) emphasis on discipleship in the evangelical church.  Can you help?

ANSWER: Dear brother in Christ,
that is such a coincidence I have been reading about that lately.  Actually there are about three books / authors who contributed a lot to the evangelical strength through discipleship. I will look through my books and see what I can find.  I think though that you might also want to read a couple of books from the 1950s too.  Now that I think about it, I might even have portions of a discipleship course that was written during the period you are asking about.  I can post that stuff here or we can do this through e-mail.  Let me know which you prefer.  Thank you for giving me this opportunity.  I hope I can get you exactly what you are looking for.  Oh by the way, there were five main evangelical movements. And, Happy New Year!

Thank you for the quick response.  My daughter started Seminary and I sent the majority of my library to her.  I know I have the book but she can not be reached at this time.  I would appreciate if you would respond to my email with any information you have.  Thanks Bro.  JBW

Dearest in Christ, thank you so much for your understanding and pateence. Sinus infections are nothing to fiddle with I learned -p the hard way.  Anyway i tore through the boxes of books I have not yet put on shelves and discoverer several i think will get you everything you need to know.  Also, if you like, we can discuss the men who were considered primary contributors to the development of the Discipleship movement.
The books then in no particular order:

The Other Side of Discipleship by Lawrence Pile
Charts for a Theology of Evangelism by Thomas Johnson
History of the Charismatic Movements by Gary Giles, Gills, or Gillis (the name was marred and smeared)
Shepherding or Discipleship by Chuch Smith
If You Really want to Follow Jesus by Bruce Barron
Green Discipleship by Tobias Winright
Discipleship to developing Your Church Strategy by John G. Johnston
The Complete Book of Discipleship by Bill Hull
Challenging the Spirits of the Discipleship Movement by Doyle Davidson
The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoffer
Thew Church Should {Practice Discipleship by Chester Williamson

Most of the have a historical background portion ( usually in the first part of the book) or chronology of the Discipleship movements.  There are some areas where they don't agree, but one would expect little else.  There was one stack of a Discipleship book series published in 1976 that i just could not get to.  The overall title was "The Discipleship of Christ" produced by a church Publisher.

I just want to say that the Azuza Street Revival between 1906 and 1913 is generally accepted as the beginning of the movement which went through many name changes and church organizations, but was the root of the discipleship program.  A couple of names stick out as I remember like William Branham, Bob Mumford, Russell T Hitt, and William T Seymour.  

I'm sure you can get digital copies (free) from say Google books, CCEL, The Gutenburg Project, and even printed copies (free) from certain publishers.  Good luck in your research and if you have anything else to ask don't hesitate for a second.  It was so mush fun tracking this stuff down again.  Thank you for the great question and the opportunity you gave me to try and answer.  God bless.... -- Dr Ley  

Christianity--Church History

Dr Wesley B Ley Rose

I can answer questions on: Biblical Studies, Biblical History, Church History, Early Christian History, Sociopolitical Background in the Early Church, Biblical Archeology, Biblical Theology, and some Greek

I did my field work in Israel, Egypt, Turkey, and Jordan while on active duty in the US Air Force during the period between 1989 to 2000. I served as a Chaplain in five theaters of war and spanning well over a decade. This afforded me the opportunity to view digs, museums and Universities where i was blessed by the staff and many graduate students. I also viewed many original manuscripts, me Archeologists, Anthropologists, and benefited from the direct teachings of Rabbi's and many learned individuals. UI have personally written almost three hundred commentaries, Essays, Treatise, and Theses. I founded my own School on Early Christian History and recently began the process to offer courses in Biblical Archeology. I teach at the local community colleges, churches, and community centers. I have authored seven books and still continue research and study. I recently received my Doctorate in Early Christian History through Scripture Institute.

Biblical Archeology Society, Paralyzed veterans of America, Habitat for Humanity, Christians with Disabilities, and many more Academic organization not to mention alumnus to many Universities throughout the world including the University of Cairo, University of Tel Aviv, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, King Fadd University, plus so many in the US and the pacific rim. many I just too a few courses, and some are honorary alumni status. Schools such as Cambridge, MIT, Stanford, University of Maryland, Appalachian State University, University of New Mexico, Empires State University, Clemson University, for Christian and Jewish Studies, and almost a dozen others. I have been attending college since 1977.

Publications;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;, etc.

I currently Hold two Doctorates in Theology and Divinity. Additionally i hold two separate master's in Biblical History-Biblical Studies, and Early Christian Studies. I'm also enrolled in salt lake Bible College as a Master's seeking a Masters in Christianity through the First 500Yyears. I have three Associate degrees in Electronic Engineering, Teaching, and Biblical Archeology. i was a Communications Engineer and worked in that field along with my Chaplianship; I received a field ordination in Kuwait by the US ARMY, yes the US Army. It's a very long story. Essentially I served in both branches for over five years; officially on loan to the Army when needed.

Aside from Military Educational Awards and others, I have been entered into the National Archives, American Honor Society, Who's Who, and National Award of Academic Achievement, Distinguished Graduate Air Force Academy, Magna Cum in all of my Master's Degrees.

I have been a ghost writer for several ministers/evangelists; Trinity International Christian Consultants, Christian Book Reviews, etc, etc