Christianity--Church History/Religion Assignment

Question
For my assignment i have chosen the topic "Assess the importance of sacrifice in Christianity"

I would like to hear your views on the importance of sacrifice and how it has impacted the lives of people from past, present and future?

Impacts of Christian sacrifices?

Were the sacrifices essential?

How was the Jesus's sacrifice significant to Christians?

Thankyou very much for reading

If you are able to answer these questions could you please send through your name and where you are from so I can reference you in my assignment

Answer
Daniel Keeran, MSW, Victoria, BC, Canada

In Christianity the sacrifice of Christ gives forgiveness of sins instead of punishment required by the Law of Moses. The sacrifice of animals offered temporary forgiveness but those sacrifices had to be offered every year. The sacrifice of Christ occurred once for all time and one receives forgiveness through baptism into the sacrifice of Christ according to Romans 6:3-6 "Or donít you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.
For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly also be united with him in a resurrection like his. For we know that our old self was crucified with him...."

This sacrifice of Christ was foretold by Isaiah in chapter 53:5-6 "But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities;the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed. We all, like sheep, have gone astray,each of us has turned to our own way;and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all."

Christianity--Church History

Daniel Keeran