Christianity--Church History/Christian Church

Question
Hello Christopher

Why do Christians go to Church to worship God, when they can all meet one another at their homes to worship God? I couldn't find the answer googling this question. I don't think it even answers this in the scripture of The Holy Bible. I believe it's this way because going to another building that man calls Church to worship God is a man made idea. Like how different christian denominations and disney world or disney land being the happiest place on earth is a man made idea.

Answer
Hi Sterling,

A good way to see the church building is as an outgrowth of the house church movement.  As a house church becomes self-sustaining, a separate building that solely is set aside for the worship of God becomes feasible.  While the people of God are the church and not the building per se, the church hostorically answered the question by placing what Scripture says is the temple of God, namely departed Christians or a portion of them.  It is very common in both Roman Catholic and Orthodox churches to have relics of holy Christians at the altar.  This shows it is not the building that is holy on its own, but the saints of God whom the Holy Spirit sanctifies.  There is no separation between living and dead because Jesus is a God of the living...who is more alive than those who await the resurrection of the dead at the second coming of Christ?

Hope this helps.

Christianity--Church History

Christopher Heren