Christianity--Prayers/Proper way to pray

I have some questions about how to pray. I want my prayers to have more power.
Is it okay to just pray to Jesus?
Are prayers to Jesus as powerful as prayers to God?
When I pray to God, should I address him as Lord, Father or God?
When people pray to the Lord, are they praying to Jesus? I'm asking this, because Jesus is Lord.
Is praying to the Lord as powerful as praying to the Father in Jesus' name?
I want to pray the right way.
Thank you.

ANSWER: Hi Kari,

It's funny, I was up early morning praying when I read your question. Here is a scripture for you to consider;

Matthew 6:6-13

The Message (MSG)

6 “Here’s what I want you to do: Find a quiet, secluded place so you won’t be tempted to role-play before God. Just be there as simply and honestly as you can manage. The focus will shift from you to God, and you will begin to sense his grace.

7-13 “The world is full of so-called prayer warriors who are prayer-ignorant. They’re full of formulas and programs and advice, peddling techniques for getting what you want from God. Don’t fall for that nonsense. This is your Father you are dealing with, and he knows better than you what you need. With a God like this loving you, you can pray very simply. Like this:

Our Father in heaven,
Reveal who you are.
Set the world right;
Do what’s best—
   as above, so below.
Keep us alive with three square meals.
Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others.
Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil.
You’re in charge!
You can do anything you want!
You’re ablaze in beauty!
   Yes. Yes. Yes.

I love The Message version of the bible because it so plain and easy to understand.

Of course it's okay to pray to Jesus. Jesus is God's son, but he's also God. It's like this; you are Kari, but you are also a daughter, a grand-daughter and more. God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are one. Jesus and the Holy Spirit are different parts of God. God sent Jesus to earth, himself in flesh form. It is the same concept when we call God Lord or Father. They are different roles God takes on in our lives. He is the Lord of our life. He is as our loving Father.

Praying is communicating with God. If you have a friend you want to talk to them right? When God is your Father, your friend, your Lord, your savior, your everything, you want to have a relationship. Relationships take communication back and forth. There is no one right way to do that other than simple, honest and from your heart. The power comes through a strong relationship.

I hope this helps you understand and want to seek God like your best friend. When we have a best friend we often understand each other so well that fewer words are needed. Time together creates that. God bless your seeking, your praying, your desires to know him better.

QUESTION: Since God is the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, do I have to pray to God or can I just pray to Jesus, since Jesus is God?
When I pray to Jesus, am I praying to God?
When I pray to Jesus and my prayers are answered, is God the one who is answering my prayers?

If I am speaking to you, Kari and I address you as "Kari" or I address you as friend or daughter, aren't you the same person? God knows you intimately. He created you. He knows your voice. He knows you. He hears you. You don't have to pray in any certain or specific way, but yes you can pray to God or to Jesus. They are one in the same.

So, yes when you pray to Jesus you are praying to God.

And yes, when our prayers are answered God is the one answering.

I hope this helps. God's best to you,

Leisha Hiester

Christianity in general, bible, faith, life situations, family, prayer. Questions regarding pain & suffering, comfort, church and the body of Christ. Experience in hardship cases; rape and abuse, divorce, PAS (Parental Alienation Syndrome) and the courts.

Former pastor's wife, teacher & speaker. Experience in the area
I wrote a book about my life experiences, "Little Girl Lost" published by Doubleday. I am thriving after many life traumas. I have spoken to thousands in churches, public arenas, teen events and colleges. I have spent years in the court systems prosecuting my perpetrators and helping other victims.

Christian American, "Little Girl Lost" by Doubleday, Focus on the Family, Campus Crusade, many more.

Former Christian minister, 22 years marketing experience in Christendom.

Nominated for the Gold Medallin ECPA award.

Promise Keepers, Focus on the Family, Campus Crusade for Christ, Joni & Friends, 700 Club, many more.