Isn't it true that if you give you shall receive? I was told that if you give it only benefits the other person or people and not yourself. I pray every day not only for myself but for others. I also try to help others as much as I can. I don't do it to receive anything, I just think it is the right thing to do. But I don't believe that it only benefits the other person or people. It makes me feel good and I think that is a great benefit. Does god recognize the good deeds we do for others?

Hi Keishia,
So nice to hear from you. I have read your inquiry several times and feel what you are asking me  has to do with the giving of self, and does God recognize the selfless good works that we do.  Indeed, sweet one, He does!  Let me share with you just where 'good works' come from.  Our Scriptures are filled with teachings like, "as we have opportunity, lot us do good to all people" (Gal. 6:9-11) and "our people must devote themselves to doing what is good" (Titus 2:14).
Titus suggests Christ won us to himself so that we might be a people who are "jealous of good works" ( Titus 2:14). *What is distinctive in the Bible is the conviction that good works flow from salvation in a necessary way.  That is, that a person (you and me) who has come to a personal relationship with Jesus WILL surely do good. Jesus also made this point! He spoke of fruit and trees (Matt. 12:33). Applied, it means " the good person brings good things out of the good stored up in him/her, and the evil person brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him/her" (Matt. 12-35).  And so, Keishia, Ephesians  reminds us we have been saved by grace through faith not works, goes on to say that, saved, "we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works (deeds) ( Ephesians 2:10). What I'm saying, my friend, is, you and I do good 'deeds' because Christ awakens us from within, and you and I are drawn to all that is beautiful and beneficial. So as you can see, from scripture, we do good deeds as Jesus taught - good deeds/works  flow out from relationship with Him, just as good fruit is produced by a good tree.

Do we receive anything from the good that we do or say? You bet! Good begets good!  Love begets love! God is love - we are in relationship with Love!
As I see it, the good deeds that we say and do, are the loving acts that benefit others and so transmit the touch of Jesus to all around us.  You and I know that 'touch' personally. How can we not receive joy when we see another relieved of stress or pain by us giving of self out of God's love? Joy is God's gift back to us. How can we not be touched by His goodness in allowing us to be a part of another's moment of salvation? How privileged we are, dear one. How privileged to be in the holy of Holies.

I celebrate your sweet spirit Keiskia. You are walking in the Spirit. You are making our world a better place. Keep on, keeping  on...  God is using you. Stay in His word, dear one, stay filled. Constantly pray for wisdom and clarity, and by all means, stay in fellowship with other believers. My prayers are with you.

Grace in Him,
Rev. Ramona Stonecipher

Reverend Ramona Carlene Stonecipher

Hi! I am an ordained United Methodist Minister. I have served the Lord for some thirty years. I am a Bible Scholar, and have taught the Scriptures all of these years. I believe in prayer. I believe, and know by experience, that God answers prayers. I can help you understand what the Bible teaches about prayer, and guide you in how to have a more prayerful lifestyle. I can't tell you why God chooses to answer your prayers the way He does, but I can, through Scripture, show you that He does hear, and He does respond to His children.

Ordained Minister; Bible Scholar; Teacher; Leader of Prayer Groups; Counselor

Graduate with Master's Degree in Divinity (Saint Paul School of Theology)Kansas City, Missouri. Graduate: University of Nebraska