Christianity--Tips for Ministers/Financials income for a pastor

Hello and thank you in advance for answering my questions.

Sorry for the long email but it's necessary to explain.

I have been saved for twelve years and Nearly three years ago God put the call of ministry on my heart I have been doing my best to try and prepare. I very much want to do an outreach type of ministry and do currently do some homeless outreach and pass out periodicals/food/water/bibles etc. and I love doing that. It brings me the most amount of joy over anything else that I do.

Unfortunately, I cannot afford  to attend an accredited school or get formal training so, I have been doing all of the free learning that I can both on line and just good old fashioned bible studies, Church attendance, reading books and so on.

During this whole process God has also brought out a whole bunch of junk in my heart that I didn't even know was there!

So now I am in a very weird place. I am very fortunate to God for my job and all that I have and cannot just quit my job. But, lately I have no desire whatsoever to do secular work anymore and I feel miserable.

I was considering doing weddings to earn extra income but I feel a little bit unsure about not being graduated from a seminary school and I definitely would pursue the proper certification etc. in my City/State to perform weddings.

I don't necessarily think it's unwise to try and do some planning because as I mentioned before, I just cannot quit my job. I also know that I must trust God and sometimes stepping out in faith is the right move. I am just at a stand still and not sure what to feel is the next move. I have asked God to show me and I am currently waiting.

I just wanted to get some thoughts of an experienced pastor on what to do with the financial matters of this type of life.

Please and thank you!

God's word doesn't preclude a pastor from being compensated or for working a job outside the ministry.  However, I would discourage the idea of 'doing weddings for money' as you will be labeled as being a hack.

The best advice I can give, is get with your pastor.  Your local pastor from your local body of believers is the best (and only) way to go as I see it.  Share your heart with him, and let him know that you want to be more active in the ministry.  Certifications and license to perform marriages are easy to attain in this day and age; but a call to the ministry comes from God.

Seek Godly counsel through your pastor and let him put you on the path.  There are great opportunities to learn from men of God already in church positions.  If you're desperate to go "full-time" into the ministry and just won't wait; I would suggest looking into mission work or helping with an overseas short-term/long-term work.  These opportunities can be from 6 months to forever, but you will always learn more by serving with and along side another man of God.

I hope this helped.  God bless you and have a good afternoon...

Christianity--Tips for Ministers

Dr. Deryl King

I can answer any question that needs to be asked. Christians have problems relating to sexuality, drugs, relationships, and even the occult. I will answer all questions using the TRUTH.

Certified Christian Counselor
Ph.D. in Biblical Studies

American Association of Christian Counselors

Ph.D in Biblical Studies
MA in Theology
BA in Christian Counseling