Christianity --Youth Issues/Converting

Question
Hi Pastor Don,

I am nineteen and in college. I have a wonderful boyfriend I've been dating for about five months now, and he wants to marry me but I have told him that I want to wait until I am finished with college.

The only problem is that he is not a Christian. I take the Bible very seriously and I know what is says in 2 Corinthians 2:16 about being unequally yoked, and I take it to mean marriage too.

My boyfriend is wonderful, he has no problems with me being a Christian and even comes to church with me sometimes. He understands Biblical concepts. However, the thing bothering me is that he says straight up he is an Atheist. He can't really defend himself on it either, but when I try to share the Gospel with him he says simply, "I can't just believe that ONE person made it all."

So my question is, do you have some kind of answer to what he says? Any verses to back it up? I'm lost.

Sorry to send you a question on Thanksgiving, but I hope you have a wonderful one!
Thanks so much!

Answer
Hi MJ

Thank you for this great question.  You are right to have hesitation here.  The Bible is clear that you should not marry an unbeliever... if He is an atheist, he IS an unbeliever.  

2 Corinthians 6:1417 (AV)
14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? 15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? 16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. 17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

You need to stand here no matter how hard it is.  Perhaps God will use your stand to win him to true belief in Christ.  Just use scripture and let the scripture work along with your solid lifestyle.

Matthew 5:16 (AV)
16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Hebrews 4:12 (AV)
12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

1 Peter 3:12 (AV)
1 Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives; 2 While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear.

I hope that this helps you.

In Christ
Pastor Don

Christianity --Youth Issues

Pastor Don Carpenter