Christianity --Youth Issues/Donations

QUESTION: Why is it, when Jesus said, " Freely you have received, freely give!" And yet you want donations, for what?  Did you , or did you not, receive the revelations of wisdom from Him, or did you receive from your labours?

ANSWER: Barber-

I am totally confused - I do not understand your question.  Please clarify it and send a follow-up.

QUESTION: Luke 19:  40 But He answered and said to them, "I tell you that if these should keep silent, the stones would immediately cry out."

Yes, and they wouldn't charge or ask for renumeration, or donations. So why do you?

ANSWER: Are you asking why the church asks for donations?

Because God asks us to give 10% of our wealth to God's service.

Leviticus 27:30 And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the tree, is the LordíS. It is holy to the Lord.

All those offerings brought into the Temple were not just sacrificed, that was what the Levites ate.  The priests needed to live, too.

The same thing goes for today - a church needs staff, both pastors and staff members.  The largest part of most churches collection plates go to pay them.  Other things the church needs is property and buildings, and the buildings need maintenance.  And most churches themselves turn around and tithe their collections as well, supporting missions work beyond the local church.

I hope this answers your questions.  Feel free to ask more.

QUESTION: "Are you asking why the church asks for donations?"

No! I''m asking you, why are you, personally asking for donations?

And yes I also understand why the church needs members. If the church needs a new roof, they can borrow from the bank, using the members as collateral. The more members the more they can borrow..

Paul went back to tent making, so he wouldn't be a burden to the  small gatherings of the church. Even though he had a right to be supported, he didn't!

The *church* you speak of isn't the * church * the Lord is the head of Carl.  The Word said, to make the requests known to Him, the head of the church, not the members.

Children don't save up for the father, It is the father who saves up for the children!

Unfortunetly the denominations have things a little backwards...  If the Lord builds the church, He will see to its support. If men build the church, they are gonna need alot of help from the members..

Sincerely In Christ

Ahhh...., I understand now.  Why am I personally asking for donations.  Quite frankly, I had forgotten I had put that on my profile.  The reason I did is because some people ask about it.  there is no obligation whatsoever, and I don't expect it.  I've been doing this over a decade because I like to help people, especially teens.  

I assure you, if you, or anyone, donates, that money is going straight to the youth program at my church, 100%.  God has truly blessed me with an adequate income for my retirement.

I DO belong to a denomination and a specific church where I've been going since 1977.  Our church campus is large, old, and requires maintenance.  We lost about 30+% of our congregation after Katrina, and although we manage, we do have some budgetary problems.  We have not regained all those members who moved elsewhere.  Our church property supported, and still supports a huge Katrina/Isaac rebuilding project.  We've had workers come from all 50 states and about 15 different countries to help.  Our labor assistance is always free, and we sometimes even provide materials for those who can't afford it.

I also need to tell you that I am a tither.  Not all my 10+% goes to my church, however.  I help support several missionaries and missionary projects as well.

Have I answered your question?

Christianity --Youth Issues

Carl F.

I can answer questions from teens & young adults concerning their faith walk and on social issues which affect their lives. I can answer questions on sex, homosexuality, or drugs, and anything else that might be troubling you. After 30 years in youth ministry, nothing shocks me, and I promise to give straight answers to any and all questions. I can also answer questions from youth workers on problems they`re having with programming or with their groups.

I have been involved in youth and young adult ministries as a volunteer for over 35 years. I am currently a volunteer youth minister in a suburban UM church - I have a small group of 7th and 8th graders.

United Methodist Church, Chrysalis, Walk to Emmaus, Cursillo

Several training seminars, 9 years at National Youth Workers Convention, 1 year at Princeton Forum on Youth Ministry

Certified lay speaker for UM Church