Christianity --Youth Issues/Christian mind games

Question
QUESTION: Why does Christianity make you feel like the worst, most sinful, disgusting, worthless, filthy, depraved creature that ever walked the face of God's earth, a sinner fit only for the hottest flames of a never-ending Hell and then say "but that's all right, God loves you!"? What kind of game is that?

ANSWER: Hi Alex,

Thank you for your interesting question.  First of all, no religion can "make you" feel this or that... what you feel is your choice of a response to facts you learn.  Now as to the relationship to sin and love... let me try to help.

1.  God is Holy.  He, by nature, cannot abide in the presence of sin.

2.  God loves man... but man has sinned... therefore in spite of His great love toward us, He cannot be with us or fellowship with us because His holy nature will not allow it.

Romans 3:23 (AV)
23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

3.  Therefore God, in an incredible act of love, allowed His perfect Son to take the blame and punishment for our sin, even though He did not deserve it.  

Romans 5:68 (AV)
6 For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. 7 For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die. 8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

With this in mind, we cannot begin to understand the depth of love that God has toward us if we do not understand the degree to which we absolutely do not deserve that love.  It is not mind games... it is truth.  You repulse at it because this truth is humbling.... but it is still Bible truth.

I hope that this helps some.

In Christ
Pastor Don

QUESTION: I'm a wee bit drunk (I'm also of legal age, I don't know why I asked a question in youth issues. Didn't notice that), so I'm not sure how much sense this question will make, but here I go. It's BECAUSE God is holy and awesome and powerful etc. and so forth that I'm scared of him. He seems unapproachable. My mom's a Christian and it seems to make her happy, but I just can't seem to have a relationship with God. How can I have a relationship with Him?

Answer
Hello Again Alex,

Your reaction to realizing God is Holy therefore you are not... is a normal and Biblical reaction.  The prophet Isaiah had the same reaction when he had a vision of God.

Isaiah 6:15 (AV)
1 In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple. 2 Above it stood the seraphims: each one had six wings; with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly. 3 And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the LORD of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory. 4 And the posts of the door moved at the voice of him that cried, and the house was filled with smoke.
5 Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts.

Your path to a relationship should follow these steps:

1.  Acknowledge that you are a sinner.

Romans 3:10 (AV)
10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

Romans 3:23 (AV)

2.  Acknowledge that because of that sin, you deserve the price for sin which is death... and the second death is Hell.

Romans 6:23 (AV)
23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Revelation 21:8 (AV)
8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

3.  Recognize that since the price for sin is death and Hell, no amount of your own efforts, works, rites or rituals will pay for sin because that is the wrong payment.

Galatians 2:21 (AV)
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Ephesians 2:89 (AV)
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

4.  Realize that Jesus already took your place dying on the cross in your stead.

Romans 5:8 (AV)
8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

2 Corinthians 5:21 (AV)
21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

Isaiah 53:6 (AV)
6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

5.  Believe that Jesus really did these things for you and ask by faith, accept that gift of salvation, asking Him to save you... because He already paid the price... once you do that... the sin is cleared out of the way and you are free to have a relationship with a holy God.

Romans 10:13 (AV)
13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

I hope that this helps you.

In Christ
Pastor Don  

Christianity --Youth Issues

Pastor Don Carpenter