Christianity --Youth Issues/salvation

QUESTION: 1 Corinithians 15:22 implies ALL people shall be saved
Hebrews 6:12 implies all people will NOT be saved and will suffer eternally
Matthew 10:28 implies the soul is destroyed in Hell (i.e. Hell is not eternal)
Which is it? It can't be all three. I'm sorry if this sounds a bit snarky (I'm not trying to be) but this is very confusing to me so much that I'm starting to consider leaving Christianity.

ANSWER: I don't know what Bible you are reading.  I've quoted the New International below, and I read and interpret all 3 differently from you.

I Cor 15:22 For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive.

The key word above is "in Christ".  Only those people who are "in Christ" will be saved

Hebrews 6:12  We do not want you to become lazy, but to imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised.

If we imitate those who are faithful, we will inherit what was promised, i.e., eternal life in Christ.

Matthew 10:28  Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

What this says is to be "afraid of the one" who can destroy you - that One is Satan.  There's a saying that says, "You can kill me, but you can't have my soul."

That's the way that I interpret those verses, and I don't think that they are contradicting at all - I think all 3 say pretty much the same thing - if we are in Christ, nothing can keep us from eternal life but the Devil, and Jesus warns us to be afraid of Satan.

Don't leave Christianity just because you don't understand something - just like you have with me - ask somebody, ask several somebodies (like all the experts here) and see what they say.  I'm asking questions constantly.  You can't just blindly follow if you don't understand.  Stand up for what YOU believe.  And if you don't understand something - ask people until you do, THEN make your decision.

Thanks for writing. I hope I've helped.  Please take the time to rate my answer, and if you still don't understand completely, then ask again until you do.

QUESTION: Thanks for your reply. There's just one thing that's still bothering me. If Christ died for all human beings yet, let's face it, most remain usaved does that mean Christ's death was (God forbid) in vain? It seems to me either Calvin was right and Christ died only for an elect or Gregory of Nyassa was right and all will be saved.

That's all part of the mystery.  My interpretation has always been that no one could come to the father but "through" me, me = Jesus.  We don't know exactly what that means.  Jesus has promised to return. Perhaps by the time he comes back, all will have heard, at least all of the living.  That's why we, as Christians, should all be diligent in telling the whole world.

Keep asking those questions, then make up your own mind.  And I don't mind you writing to me again and again.  All I can do is tell you what I believe, and why I believe it.

Christianity --Youth Issues

Carl F.

I can answer questions from teens & young adults concerning their faith walk and on social issues which affect their lives. I can answer questions on sex, homosexuality, or drugs, and anything else that might be troubling you. After 30 years in youth ministry, nothing shocks me, and I promise to give straight answers to any and all questions. I can also answer questions from youth workers on problems they`re having with programming or with their groups.

I have been involved in youth and young adult ministries as a volunteer for over 35 years. I am currently a volunteer youth minister in a suburban UM church - I have a small group of 7th and 8th graders.

United Methodist Church, Chrysalis, Walk to Emmaus, Cursillo

Several training seminars, 9 years at National Youth Workers Convention, 1 year at Princeton Forum on Youth Ministry

Certified lay speaker for UM Church